Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox failure - replacement not available?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Dealers don't keep large items like transmissions in stock, they are ordered as needed.

Some components are unavailable at times for various reasons, it does happen unfortunately.

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
Shame about the gearbox. Ever heard of a towbar and trailer ?

img1248qq.jpg

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Where I work we have some transmissions.
We supply dealers and our own workshop.
But as RiCeY said "Some components are unavailable at times for various reasons, it does happen unfortunately"

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Dealers don't keep large items like transmissions in stock, they are ordered as needed.

Some components are unavailable at times for various reasons, it does happen unfortunately.
Prob shouldn't make a box that dies on a stock car then if your not going to have spares available.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Prob shouldn't make a box that dies on a stock car then if your not going to have spares available.

So basically spare parts should keep one of every single part in every vehicle they make?

Yeah, makes sense.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
The gearbox was manufactured by an outside manufacturer. Holden do not manufacture them they only install them. Any ultimate claim will be via Holden back to the gearbox manufacturer. As previously advices, softly/softly in your discussions with the dealer. Good luck.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Holden cant hide behind that old chestnut! ^^^
Holden designs the car, chooses suppliers and sets the standards of QA so it makes no difference if the failed unit was made by Holden or a supplier, its Holdens problem.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
So basically spare parts should keep one of every single part in every vehicle they make?

Yeah, makes sense.
I never said that. Should be something available in the country, not every dealer.
I would be pissed if the thing broke and I was told sorry don't have any come back later.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I never said that. Should be something available in the country, not every dealer.
I would be pissed if the thing broke and I was told sorry don't have any come back later.

Agreed.

It's not really possible to have every part in stock, but Holden should still have access to their own parts. If their still churning out cars from the factory, they obviously have gearbox's. Unless all new SS's are manuals....

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car

Yeah, makes sense.

I can see the responses in this thread went completely over your head.

No, a local spare parts shouldn't have to keep items like gearboxes in stock but they should have direct access to spares elswhere and not have to tell their 'valued' customers "sorry we're all out", it's bad business plain and simple.