Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox failure - replacement not available?

catbert6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Calais Sportwagon V8 Redline
Hi all

Just had the gearbox in a (fully serviced, gently driven) SII VE Calais V8 Auto Redline Sportwagon die at less than 60,000 km.

It has been assessed by the dealer who has agreed that it will be replaced under warranty (good) but the dealer has been unable to obtain a replacement transmission from Holden. Furthermore, the dealer tells me that Holden will not give a date when a replacement gearbox will be made available.

So, the car sits there in the workshop, with no due date for repair.

After a week, the dealer has agreed to provide me with a hire car (again, good) but I do not know what I should do. The hire car is good but there is stuff I cannot do with it (eg cart building materials round on the roof racks!).

Do I just wait on them to eventually get a gearbox? Is there any value in complaining to Holden or to anyone else?

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Give Holden customer service a buzz,BUT BE polite and DONT run the dealer down as they havent done any wrong at this stage,maybe ask the dealer for a different hire car eg ute or tray back.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
yes be nice. you catch more bees with honey.
bit strange they can't find a gear box for a fairly recent model though. can they not rebuild the old one?

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
When you read stories like this you know you are living in Botswana. Woops - Oh sorry - we are in Australia aren't we.

1. Agree with Conrod. Definitely get get on to Holden customer service and present your case.

Telling a customer that Holden is unable to come up with a transmission and is unable to say when one will be available seems very odd to say the least. I find it very hard to believe that is the case if Holden is spinning this line to the dealer in Canberra.

2. I would be inclined to ring the service centre of one of the larger Holden Dealers in Sydney and tell them you are after a new replacement transmission for your car and ask them to tell you when one can be supplied and fitted at their workshop. See if you get the same story.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
thats crap!Ifeel for you,but as said already get onto Holden.

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
(eg cart building materials round on the roof racks!).

I feel you, but do you really carry **** on the roof of you SII VE Calais V8 Auto Redline Sportwagon?
Roof racks are so.....last century ;)

catbert6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Calais Sportwagon V8 Redline
I feel you, but do you really carry **** on the roof of you SII VE Calais V8 Auto Redline Sportwagon?
Roof racks are so.....last century ;)

Only on weekends - only till I finish replacing the deck (and lining the garage ... oh wait ... and all the other jobs that need doing!)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Shame about the gearbox. Ever heard of a towbar and trailer ?

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
Don't know roof racks, sometimes they are convenient ... Its alright I got the run around from my local dealer that they don't have any Stereo fascia clip anywhere in the country and have had them on back order for a few weeks, walked in to Commonwealth motors the other day and had 4 handed to me at half the price.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
As above try somewhere else.
They can also check on their computer if another dealers have one in stock around the country.
Can they give you a part number of the transmission?