Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gearbox final words.

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6
Hi guys long time member now always helpfull. I have a 95 s pack vs, lsd standad diff no abs, an m30 gearbox. auto,
My gearbox was working fine a week ago, smooth in gears not a problem, First my 3,2 kick solenoid went bad, On the way to get the solenoid my gearbox at peak of revs just before gear change it slips really long takes like 5 sec to change then eventually changes. This happens during a dcent throttle push but not more then average. Even when cold first thing in the morning goes into gear fine, an has alot of grip an rip during take off, but this is the first sign of any slipage an its only in 2nd to 3rd, an 4th, Keep in mind before this happend recent service i have my own diagnostics kit an very knowledgable, an im still stuffed besides worn clutchs, but it never had a problem before not even a slip smashing through gears manually in the auto like pro, i rcently put vt brake setup an the master cylinder, ow the master cylinder i had to use spacers becuase of pin size in booster i was told this could affect gearbox because of pedal but i dont feel no resistance anywhere else. Please help commodore gods i dont like seeing my baby down an out Thanks.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The brakes have nothing to do with how the transmission operates.

Worn clutches, bad shift solenoids or low/incorrect fluid.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Fit corvette servo piston kit.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Seems like from what youve said in your post you give the transmission a bit of a hard time, even when its cold, and giving them a hard time when theyre stone cold will kill them in no time, they must reach full operating temp before giving them a hard time etc. Its the same with an engine, loading them up heaps or revving the piss out of them when theyre cold is will kill them pretty quickly .
I give my mostly standard VS auto a heaps hard time a lot of the time, I shift the gears manually a lot too when slowing down for the braking effect, have done since I first got it. I never drive the car hard when its cold, I just idle it along until its fully up to temp, then I'll give it hell.. I also change the trans fluid and filter every 20,000 km, which has now done over 250,000 km that I know of, and its still shifts into gear as good as the day I first got the car.
Ive also got the settings in the tune modified so the auto trans shifts faster and firmer, its now way better than it was before with the standard transmission settings in the tune, It also runs slightly cooler around town now too. Keep your auto serviced regularly and let it warm up properly before giving it a hard time. These are the keys things to making an auto last.

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6
The brakes have nothing to do with how the transmission operates.

Worn clutches, bad shift solenoids or low/incorrect fluid.

If the brake pedal is to low it activates clutch i think in gearbox, i was reading it on the design specs of holdens chiggity check .

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6
Seems like from what youve said in your post you give the transmission a bit of a hard time, even when its cold, and giving them a hard time when theyre stone cold will kill them in no time, they must reach full operating temp before giving them a hard time etc. Its the same with an engine, loading them up heaps or revving the piss out of them when theyre cold is will kill them pretty quickly .
I give my mostly standard VS auto a heaps hard time a lot of the time, I shift the gears manually a lot too when slowing down for the braking effect, have done since I first got it. I never drive the car hard when its cold, I just idle it along until its fully up to temp, then I'll give it hell.. I also change the trans fluid and filter every 20,000 km, which has now done over 250,000 km that I know of, and its still shifts into gear as good as the day I first got the car.
Ive also got the settings in the tune modified so the auto trans shifts faster and firmer, its now way better than it was before with the standard transmission settings in the tune, It also runs slightly cooler around town now too. Keep your auto serviced regularly and let it warm up properly before giving it a hard time. These are the keys things to making an auto last.

I dont boot it cold , I stated that when its cold it still runs perfect, Alot of commys ive driven from cold to temp arent quite as smooth as when you first bought it, I prefer perfect so when i start even as the car is warming i notice every little difference, When i said cold i ment not raced around heated of its head. but thanks good info

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
What in God's green earth is a "Holden chiggity check?" I'm failing to understand most of the posts clearly, but this has taken the cake.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6
What in God's green earth is a "Holden chiggity check?" I'm failing to understand most of the posts clearly, but this has taken the cake.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4

Im sure it does iwith an iq position such as yours, Chiggity check yo self fool, Its a line from a movie meaning go have another look . lol state rape, That means statement rape in english you killed it.