Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox fitting

H

hatman

Haveing trouble fitting replacement VL 5 speed gearbox. Cant seem to get the shaft into the hole in the clutch without the boody of the gearbox jamming on the floor (the starter mout gets in the way to!. Any tips/trix?
Cheers

86VL5spd

Repn RB 20-10
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
how ya goin dude,

Yeh i had the same problem when i rebuilt my gearbox in the end i had to jack the front of the engine up so that it tilted the back down fair enuf for me to be able to get the gearbox up and on. took a while itz a real cu*t tryn to hold it up by urself then u find out these no way its goin back. try that it should work bro.

DAMO!!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE 3.8 V6 t700
As the other guy said yes, exhaust undone, remove fan pump so as the other guy said rear of engine can drop at the rear, at worst undo engine mounts allow engine to sit on cross member will give another 4-6 inches drop, while lining up box leave in gear so you can turn output shaft to rotate spigot to help line up with splines in clutch. If being real pain use threaded rod about 3 inches longer to thread into block to help keep box lined up, but do NOT use these rods to pull up box if not lined up with clutch will punch guts out of clutch as you tighten up rods. It is always an all dayer or bugger me it drops straight in. :b:

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
jimrichards is right......undo the exhust at the cat flange, then the engine will fall backwards against the firefall(maybe revome the fan shroud)make sure the clutch i lined up properly or you will never get it in, lif the gearbox in(you might have to twist the gearbox a little to slide it in)do up the bolts, put the crossmemeber in then the rest should go together easily.....i got mine in and out in bout 5 hours.....

R

Reggie

I am only new to all this chat forum thing, but i thought if there is something extra i can add to help someone out i will! with those five speed boxes they are a bitch to manhandle into position ,they are tight in the tunnel. But i have found that if you turn it on it's side and jack the front of the motor as high as it can go, then spin it when close to posion you should have no real problems. have fun!

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Do what I did - get 4 mates and 2 dozen Speights, as well as two trolley jacks and work all bloody night on it!!

You should only have to remove the zorst at flange and fan shroud as has been said. Pushing on the back of the engine should then tilt it enough to let the input shaft slide home.