Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox gear selection and speedo/tacho questions

VKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Black 304(VL)
I've recently had the 202 replaced with a vl v8 and a m20 gear box into my SL VK.

1stly, the gearbox. I have difficulty changing into 4th, there's no crunching but I have to be forceful with it. Checking out the gear selection it looks like the mechanism might be snagging on the linkage for 2nd on the way past. Just wondering if anyone can point me towards what's adjustable to try and fix this.

The dash is standard vk(not the Star Wars one:) after the swap my speedo worked briefly then stopped, I can hear click click click coming from behind the dash sounding like the cables not connected properly so I've pulled the dash out and disconnected/reconnected the speedo cable but no joy. Is there any tricks to making sure this is connected properly? Cable looks good on the gearbox end.

The behind he dash the tacho has 4 screws with nothing connected, there's 2 wires coming through the firewall with a black connector which looks like they come from the dizzy(can't be sure), should I try connecting these to the tacho? Is there anything required to adapt from 6 or 8cyl for this?

Cheers
Evan

VKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Black 304(VL)
I pulled the dash out again today and checked the speedo cable, I pulled it out and there's a 4 sided plastic pin separate from the cable, should this be joined to the speedo cable? Checking it out it looks like the end may have sheared off but I can't be sure.

Re: tacho, I realise I need a v8 dash, if anyone is selling one please feel free to PM me.

I had a mess about with the linkages on the side of the gearbox(some felt very loose but no joy yet.).

Cheers
Evan

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
I have had heaps of dramas getting my speedo to work in my VH. Firstly the output shaft drive kept sliding away.The clip holding it on needed to by opened up a bit so got that side fixed and still no speedo.Took the speedo out and started the car without tailshaft attached and saw the cable was turning so had to be speed end.Turns out that the speedo cable was not going properly into the speedo_Once it was properly installed it started working.I ran 2 wires into behind the dash from the coil for the tacho and ran an earth from the 3rd prong on the tacho.My VH speedo has 3 prongs that push into the dash and i made contact with each of 3 hole and pushed in the tacho.You will have to connect the cables to the tacho outside of the dash to see which wires go were.Its just hit and miss.With your gearbox if the linkages are not properly adjusted it wont go into gear.Also check that your Rat trap is working properly.I see you are in Brisbane and so am I. Victoria Point to be exact.Could call over if not to far away to help you out if you like.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
From what I remember of VK speedometers, there are two clicks/steps required when the cable is reconnected. It's easy to get caught out and just feel the first one and assume that's it.

VKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Black 304(VL)
Thanks guys,
I've figured out the speedo cable is broken, new one ordered today.
Dags61, thanks for your offer, I'm a fair way away-Kallangur, I'll have another look over selector and linkages, is rat trap another name for linkages (excuse my ignorance, learning as I go with this car),

Cheers
Evan