Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox noise in vs v8 series 111

pusslux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L MAN UTE
Hi all, i got a nasty noise in my gearbox that i just recently found out. The noise appears when the ute is in idle and nutural. Noise disapeares when clutch is pressed in OR when revs are increased. Any ideas what it may be? costs?

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
mine has a T5 and intermittently makes a similar noise, im damn near certain its just a noisy throw out bearing. gearbox needs to come out to replace it, one of those $50 parts that costs $500 to fit im afraid.

its not hurting anything so i just put up with it in mine

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
If you do not have the required amount of clearance between the throw out bearing and the pressure plate fingers, the throwout bearing will be turning all the time, and will soon wear out. can you see or get yours hands on the throw out fork? you should be able to move/wobble it a bit when the clutch pedal is fully released.

v1l3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Series III Ute + VZ SS Thunder
Im guessing you have the getrag gear box in your series3, I had the same issue with my gearbox which turned into a nightmare of an issue resulting in 3 rebuilds of the box before the idiots finally got it right, If your in VIC don't go to Trans Diff or Northern diffs same company as they dicked me around hardcore and it cost me a lot of money with my box however back your issue, Can you hear the noise when you accelerate at all or if your hi in the rev range and back of a bit? And is there any whinning noises coming from the box when it in gear at low rev range?
If so you might have worn the end cap bearings on the input shaft, this happened to me only 300km after the first rebuild as they didn't replace them.
What state are you in mate?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
can be caused by an overmachined flywheel creating too much clearance ( as stated above) resulting in constantly replacing the throw out bearing
(the bearing that pushes the clutch forks in to depress the clutch)

pusslux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L MAN UTE
Yeah its a Getrag, iv just pulled the box out praying that thrust bearing was stuffed but it didnt seem to bad???? There doesnt seem to be too much play in the shaft. Is there a way i could test the input shaft? i can spin the shaft without movement or noise or roughness.I could only hear the noise in idle whilst in nutural, i think iv done about 100klm since noticing it

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
i fear we may have overlooked the basics or looked at incorrect bearing
read this site has good info on diagnosis..

HowStuffWorks "Common Problems and Other Types of Clutches"

read all of it before moving forward but due to noise goes away when clutch depressed or revs increased
i would either go with springs on clutch plate loose OR throw out bearing
remember the throwout bearing is under more stress when engine running then when is spun in your hand

another VERY COMMON getrag problem is that the throwout bearing doesnt sit evenly on the shaft properly
or that its noisy spinning on the inner race INSTEAD of spinning on the bearings in the middle
the cheapo fix for this is to grases LIGHTLY the input shaft where the bearing fits onto it
but either way i would be replacing the bearing AT LEAST if not the clutch plate itself aswell (buy a kit)
and also LIGHTLY greasing the input shaft where the throwout bearing sits on installation..
hope this helps man!~

v1l3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Series III Ute + VZ SS Thunder
The getrag is a good box its just hard to get parts for and that makes it expensive, mine made heaps of noise simmilar to yours and the only way to see what was wrong was to split the box.
However even now after everything was replaced its still a bit noisy but nothing is wrong with the box. If I had my time over Id just throw a T56 in change the diff gears and be done with it, would of been a lot cheaper then rebuilding the getrag but it does the job, let us know what was wrong in the end though, might help the next person looking for answers on this issue

pusslux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L MAN UTE
I have cracked the shits pretty bad with it now!! Many have tried to split the box but got nowhere, rang many "change over" places and the best price was $2500 + the damage of the old box????? I have decided to put it back in with a new clutch kit and prey it can last me a while longer

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
and grease that bugger of a bearing i hope... had another one today but this one spun on input shaft so much it wore a line in it $$$$$ poor bugger

if you reinstall it you can follow that link to help YOU diagnose where the fault is...