Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox noisesI

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss thunder Ute l98 6-speed 6ltr
Hi guys, my t56 when changing into 5th or 6th then accelerating starts winning pretty bad so I pop it back to neutral then back into gear as this usually stops it, just wandering if an6one knows why, IV checked fluid, it sort of started when m6 reverse stuffed up, I can only get reverse if I slightly roll the car backwards? PlZ someone inform me what this could be we as every mechanic I take it to just wants to pull it apart, they don't even bother asking me to drive them to see. They just say "book it in and we will sort it"

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hi guys, my t56 when changing into 5th or 6th then accelerating starts winning pretty bad so I pop it back to neutral then back into gear as this usually stops it, just wandering if an6one knows why, IV checked fluid, it sort of started when m6 reverse stuffed up, I can only get reverse if I slightly roll the car backwards? PlZ someone inform me what this could be we as every mechanic I take it to just wants to pull it apart, they don't even bother asking me to drive them to see. They just say "book it in and we will sort it"
To be bluntly honest it would be a guess to pinpoint your problem, a verble diagnosis can be unreliable. If you consider the amount of parts in one it could have a rebuild status.. l sent a gearbox in for a rebuild with first to second selecting issues and got it back with the same issue. And l asked for a rebuild not a fix er up m8 go ahead. Don't find a company that's with vacc and feel confident your in good hands..

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah true, slot of components, from what I'm told a rebuild is the same cost as a low km second hand box but then again it's not in the car so U don't know what your getting so I guess Il have to find a decent company to do a rebuild. Thanks for your help, slot of up themselves guys on this forum, much appreciated mate

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Yeah true, slot of components, from what I'm told a rebuild is the same cost as a low km second hand box but then again it's not in the car so U don't know what your getting so I guess Il have to find a decent company to do a rebuild. Thanks for your help, slot of up themselves guys on this forum, much appreciated mate
A new holenger 6 speed was around 6k from memory. A rebuild will be over 2k maybee pushing 3-4 at a guess then a new clutch or anything wile its out.

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah this is sort of my problem, cause my knowledge isn't as vast as most I don't think of the other things, I mean of course why wouldn't I put a new clutch in while I'm paying for labour and it's all apart anyway. Thanks man, if U don't mind me asking I'm considering a cam upgrade but don't really know what sort I should get, I know I have to replace the lifters or get rollers or tie bar rods at same time but any opinion U mite have plz let me know. My vz as thunder Ute LS2, I'm never going to sell it, I love driving it everyday so I'm in no rush to do it all at once as money is always a factor, IV had cv8 monaro's, be, can, vk but I enjoy my vz the most

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry ment VE, VN, VK's but love vz the most

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Yeah this is sort of my problem, cause my knowledge isn't as vast as most I don't think of the other things, I mean of course why wouldn't I put a new clutch in while I'm paying for labour and it's all apart anyway. Thanks man, if U don't mind me asking I'm considering a cam upgrade but don't really know what sort I should get, I know I have to replace the lifters or get rollers or tie bar rods at same time but any opinion U mite have plz let me know. My vz as thunder Ute LS2, I'm never going to sell it, I love driving it everyday so I'm in no rush to do it all at once as money is always a factor, IV had cv8 monaro's, be, can, vk but I enjoy my vz the most
lve resurched all possibilities from complete engine rebuild to lifters/pushrods/roller refurbish or upgrade/cam and head work etc. A rebuild aint far off a cam upgrade cost 7-9k, if you consider it will need a rebuild at some stage only to have to pay for all that to be done again. It's best to replace cam bearings when a new cam is fitted and this needs the engine out. For example you could talk to 10 people that build engines and you may receive 8 alternate possibilities of cam choice depending on what they suggest suited to your requirement. You may need to change the pistons to allow valve clearance also. The list goes on. My conclusion to it all if your going to keep the car, choose if you want fuel economy or horsepower. That will determine if you require a specific cam including highflo heads for example. Or a stroker built or forced induction. Basicly the engine builders should build a engine suited to purpose for best outcome.

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Glad I'm talking to someone who knows what there talking about. That all makes sense, although I do drive it everyday I got it to be my pride & joy toy so I'm going for horsepower, if I want economy is buy a hybrid lol

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Glad I'm talking to someone who knows what there talking about. That all makes sense, although I do drive it everyday I got it to be my pride & joy toy so I'm going for horsepower, if I want economy is buy a hybrid lol
lve just done a lot of research so l only do it once. I havent put money to engine builder. You can gain hp and keep some economy like 12lt per 100km cruzn with twin turbo but you need a cast iron block and something like a motech management so you just press a hp increase function for overtaking...

Dizzy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've thought about the twin turbo ls block kits for $3000 then of course labour to install , I haven't driven many turbo but it just feels like it lags untill certain rpm, whereas fogger wet injection nos kit fully installed is only $3000 so there are a lot of options but def would get the limiter switch or whatever it is your saying, thats why I thought nos, them I'm only spending 3g and no block prep needed plus I can turn it off and on, I just don't know what to do lol