Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox playing up?

falsetruth

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport 690 manual
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could help me with a prob with my gearbox.... I have a Vr clubsport with 5 speed t5 gearbox, it has been recoed about a year ago, and installed with new exeedy heavy duty clutch, the problem im having is when im driving from first to second, if i dont put the clutch in full to the floor it will grind in gear, it will do this from first to second, second to third, but 4th and 5th are fine, also if im goin down from 3rd to second, if im going to fast, it will not get into 2nd gear, and 2nd to 1st, will do the same thing, i have to pretty much come to a complete stop before i can get it in first, infact sometimes when i have completely stoped, i have to quickly slip it into second to slow the gears down before putting it in first or it will grind a bit, Thats the best i can explain it lol, So i hope you guys know what im trying to say,
I have had the clutch cable replaced, and adjusted several times,
Does this sound like the thrust baring to anyone?
Also there is hardly any play in the clutch, if i have it to the board, and release it about half an inch, it will start to engage, could this be clutch?
thanks in advance..

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
adjust the clutch cable a bit tighter and see if it helps if not sounds like syncros are worn or the wrong thickness oil you never change down into fifth is why its fine as well.

falsetruth

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport 690 manual
cable has been adjusted to the fullest since i bought the new cable about a month ago, and the gearbox is only a year old, and it doesnt get a thrashing.. so ide assume that it wasnt the syncros going... i didnt mean goin down to 5th, first and second grind if theres too much revs or goin to fast, 3rd a little, 4th and 5th are fine, thanks..

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah i was meaning that 5th is still nice cause you dont change down into it which is what wears syncros we used to swap the 5th gear syncro for 2nd gear syncro in subarus to make the boxes change better when they wore out.cause 5th was allways good LOL.if the clutch is letting go that close to the floor maybe the pivot in the bellhousing needs adjusting or the clutch fork is bent or bending does the clutch pedal sit level with the brake with your foot off it

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
If it grinds unless the clutch is to the floor, then it 'sounds' like the cable needs to be tighter. OR, the clutch plate is sticking to the input shaft. Did you use the little grease packet that came with the clutch kit?

What fluid are you running?

As delco suggested about the fork, where does the clutch pedal sit? If the forks bent or the ball height isnt correct, you will run out of adjustment on the cable.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The release lever pivot ball height must be 102mm (from Gregorys) - has this been checked? Doesn't sound like a thrust bearing problem.
I've seen this happen on other cars when the gearbox has 'hung' off the bellhousing when not fully pushed in - if the front gearbox shaft engages with the clutch plate but not with the flywheel pilot bearing and then the gearbox is left to hang it will distort the clutch plate much the same as when a brake disc is distorted and grabs. The result is that you cannot ever fully engage the clutch as the plate is not running 'true' - it's got a wobble because it's distorted. If you cannot fully engage the clutch you will always crunch the gears.
So unless the cable or pedal or pivot ball height are wrong I'd say it's a distorted clutch plate.
But that's just my opinion. Good Luck.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah they normally shudder bad in reverse when letting the clutch out as well if you let them hang on the plate like that too

falsetruth

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport 690 manual
hey, thanks heaps for replys, that sounds a bit better than what some other people have been suggesting, thanks, ill print this out and take it to my mechanic to let him know what your opinions are, And it does shutter in reverse sometimes.. even first thanks

falsetruth

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr clubsport 690 manual
does the clutch pedal sit level with the brake with your foot off it

there is a bit of free play when the clutch is out, maybe about 2 - 3 inches of freeplay, it doesnt sit there firm when the clutch is completely out

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
hey im getting a grinding noise coming from my gearbox you can only hear it when you got your toe on the acceleratOr cruzin. im thinking it may be tha thrust bearing. does any1 think the same? what do you think its gonna cost me to fix? gearbox is a t5. cost me 1.5 k last time to fix the same problem in my old vs but i swear i got robbed i will be using a different trany mechanic this time. last time they pretty much rebuilt the whole thing without asking me all iwanted was a new bearing! oh and what can happen if i leave it for too long to get repaired?