Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox problems

kane_coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series 2 SS 6 speed,VK Royale 308,VN V6 Ute
Hi everyone,
I have been running a celica box in my 308 powered VK.Ive done 1000km and the gearbox **** itself.Destroyed a gear on the clustershaft.After a bit of research it seems a T5 would be the way to go.The bellhousing ive been using had HDT on the side of it.Any one be able to tell me what its off?
Ive been told that the bellhousings with HDT cast into them are off a T5 anyway?
Can i use a V6 T5 or one out of a falcon?
Apparently theyre basicaly the same box with varying shaft lengths?

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
i cant comment on what the bellhousing can from but i do know that if its a hdt bellhousing then it would be for a v8 T5 so a v6 or falcon T5 wont work. as for what T5 to go for, ive been looking into a T5 conversion for my VB 308 and apparently the falcon ones are the way to go as they line up perfectly with the original shifter position. places like castlemaine rod shop and dellows automative make bellhousing adaptors to suit the falcon T5 to the 308. however if the current bellhousing you have is a hdt t5 bellhousing then get a v8 t5 gearbox.

kane_coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh OK are the bolt patterns for attaching the bell housing different between the boxes?
Ive been doing a bit of research to and i wanted to go falcon because of the shifter location.My celica box was perfect in that aspect as well.Might have to try find a falcon box and see how close it is.Got an engineer mate who owes me some favours so adapting the bell housing shouldnt be to bad...Fingers crossed.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
Oh OK are the bolt patterns for attaching the bell housing different between the boxes?
Ive been doing a bit of research to and i wanted to go falcon because of the shifter location.My celica box was perfect in that aspect as well.Might have to try find a falcon box and see how close it is.Got an engineer mate who owes me some favours so adapting the bell housing shouldnt be to bad...Fingers crossed.

yeah im pretty sure the different versions of the T5 have different bell housings. I know for a fact the holden v6 and v8 ones arent interchangeable. if your engineer mate cant adapt you a belhousing then castlemaine rod shop do sell them as a kit so youll have no dramas get one organised. theyre pretty expensive from memory though

kane_coro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea i had a look at the castlemaine ones when i was doing the celica conversion.Theyre pretty dear, especially when you throw in the exchange rate and freight to NZ