Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gearbox/propshaft help

mistermeena

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0
hey guys would love to hear any suggestions on this problem:

I had a problem with an apparent imbalance in my prop shaft (VR 5.0 auto) causing a slight wobble at very low (and very high) speeds. I replaced the bushing and seal in the extension housing where the prop shaft plugs into the back of the gearbox. This seems to have fixed the imbalance and fluid leak.
So the only prolem is that now there is a noise coming from under the car, kind of a constant squeeling maybe like metal rubbing. Have i done somthing wrong reattaching the prop shaft? is it just the new seal maybe?
Thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
A dry seal can squeal but not for long before it melts....but I'm sure you would have made sure there was oil on the new bush and seal before reassembly. Is the squeal at all speeds? ....nothing rubbing on the propshaft?...dry uni joint?
Good luck.

mistermeena

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0
yeah just dabbed trans fluid on the bush and a bit inside the seal. i also put some grease on the rubber dust cover. should i have tried to pour trans fluid into the housing? i figured it would make its way down there on its own.

Also i realized after a second test drive the squeel does not start until the engine warms up a bit, and yes it is at all speeds and uni's have been replaced very recently (thought that might solve the original problem)

W

whisky

Take it to the pros to fit a new CV, 2 new uni's and balance it... shouldn't cost yah more than $250.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Might need to jack up the back, remove rear wheels and run car in drive and look/listen underneath to positively locate.(taking all safety precautions!!!) Could even be a pinhole in exhaust pipe or cat or joints.

mistermeena

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0
new development: i did jack up the rear again and got a mate to turn the wheels and the sound is coming from the gear box..i took everything off and turned the shaft by hand and that seems to be making noise somewhere towards the rear section of the box.

is there a sump plug to drain the ATF?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
There is no drain plug unless someone has brazed one onto the pan so it means you have to drop the pan. Can't you just remove the rear extension housing and look inside there? - would be easier than dropping the pan.

mistermeena

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0
extension housing is off..when i turn the shaft it still makes the noise like maybe its coming from further inside

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you drop the pan off I still don't think you will see anything that moves - just the valve body. Long shot - not the speedo gear?. Starting to sound like the imbalance may have done more damage up the line unfortunately. Maybe if you do drop the pan you can check to see if there are any metal filings in the pan or chunks of clutch material. But if there isn't, and you don't want to go to a trans rebuilder who will probably say "full rebuild required $$$$", then I'd keep driving it in the hope the sound goes away.
Good Luck.