Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox quote

Heeey!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubsport
hi guys,
got a couple of quotes for my 4l60e to suit my 355, just wondering what you guys thought?
i tried protrans and als raceglides in sydney and both came to a price of around $3800 which includes:
all internal parts strengthened (new), custom shift kit to suit, strengthened flexplate and 3500rpm stally...
both said box will handle 500hp...

is the 3500rpm stally good to use as a daily driver?
is the pricing fair?

cheers

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
mate, to put a 4L60E behind a 355 would be the worst move you could possibly make. Gen3s blow up those gearboxs like fireworks on 4th of july. get a turbo 400 from status in victoria and ull be laughing. They are by far the cheapest and best ive heard of. and that will come in way way under 3k. as far as your stally goes, get the lower power figure of your came and try to match it with your stally. Would be the best way to go. 3500 with a big cam would be tough as!!

Heeey!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubsport
yea iv had the turbo 400 cross my mind before but i just want something to bolt straight in no fuss and having to get adapters etc. iv been told the 4l60e will handle the power if setup properly (400hp)

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I always thought the boxes bolted up fine it was just the little things that were the problem e.g computer TCC lockup etc.

Heeey!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubsport
oh i thought there was some mucking around with them to fit in...
well in that case what are my options as a straight bolt in box like the t400/700 etc i would like a box to handle 450hp at the engine (street use) and if it can be bolted straight in no fuss?
i need advice plz...
is it true would my 4l60e (beefed up) be a disaster behind my 355?

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
an even better option would be converting to manual;)

Heeey!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubsport
true but wanna keep auto.
im so confused on what to do, keep the 4l60e and beef it up or locate another box that can basically just slot in if its possible (*tearing hair out*)

FusionX

Reaction score
To stick a turbo 400 in, you would need a different gearbox mount/support. Also need to change the front section of the tailshaft (different yoke and probably different length).

Depends on your driving style to what gearbox would suit you best. If you plan on doing a bit of drag racing/burnouts and spirited driving, then a Turbo 400 without a doubt, one of the strongest autos around.

Heeey!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubsport
oh ok, well the purpose is purely street driven, and im just after something to comfortably handle 400-450 horsies at the engine. i have found this article:
The built-in improvements that c
i was wondering is it possible for the 4l65e to drop straight in and get it beefed up instead of the 4l60e or is there mucking around involved also, seems like it would be a good swap if strengthened also, let me know what you think...

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
oh ok, well the purpose is purely street driven, and im just after something to comfortably handle 400-450 horsies at the engine. i have found this article:
The built-in improvements that c
i was wondering is it possible for the 4l65e to drop straight in and get it beefed up instead of the 4l60e or is there mucking around involved also, seems like it would be a good swap if strengthened also, let me know what you think...

were u located man ?
melb?