Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox rebuild???

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Ok so on friday my gearbox **** itself. Couldn't do much about it on the weekend so had to wait til yesterday to take it somewhere. A mate recommended a guy, says he does a good job. He called me this morning with the news that the gearbox needs rebuilding. He says I'm looking at around $1900. Does this sound about right? I was expecting between $1000-1500.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very appreciated

EDIT: Its an auto...

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
When I had my VS ute (about 5 years ago now) I had the auto rebuilt, cost me 2200. The guy built it stronger though... dunno what he did but he said he put better parts then standard in there.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
you can buy gearboxes from repco i think theyre about 1500. 1900 would include removal and install and fluid id assume so it sounds reasonable

-daniel-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
Mate I'm not sure where you are, I had a VR auto rebuilt with a stage 2 shift kit for around $2000 that was 6 months ago down at Balina automatics and I can't fault it (the same rebuild up on the sunshine coast I was quoted $3000) so shop around

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
i'm no good with auto boxes as i'm always with a manual, but i would have though i'd seen reco'd boxes aroud for 900? if they're reco'd havent they been rebuilt anyway?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
You can buy stronger, upgraded rebuilt boxes for less than that. Buy one and drop it in yourself or with a mate :) They're not so hard to do if you have the right tools.