Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox slipping?

PerceptionTwin

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
'94 VR UTE
ok so my gearbox has been playing up lately.

slipping a bit on takeoff and changing between 1-2

i realised i was running a bit low on fluid. so i topped it up. worked alright when i took it for a quick spin. but today it had similar problems again. accpet now it has a bit of a shudder in it when changing gears under any decent throttle.

i noticed the check engine light was on about half way home and it was struggling coming down the hwy at 100. i dropped it back to 3 and it seemed good.. apart from revving a bit high.

then when i went to put it back in D it changed but didnt drop the revs. and just slugged along. so i drove home the rest of the way in 3 and it was great. great changing between 1-2 and no shuddering at all.

ive just checked the error codes via help of this thread and i got a code of 68. which translates to - Transmission Component Slipping - Auto Transmission Only.

ok now i obviously knew it was slipping. just wondering how to fix it. would to much trans fluid cause this or is my gearbox stuffed?

cheers for any advice.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Your first option is to get it serviced - oil and filter change. (you can do it yourself). The filter may be blocked causing this problem. This way you will be able to see if there are any metal bits in the sump or if the filter is blocked. Costs about $30 for filter/gasket and $25 for 5L Dexron111. Otherwise it will cost $$$$. Good Luck.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Normally the metal (if trans is gone) is stuck on the magnet in the sump.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
sounds to me like someones converter has just crapped itself....
expensive stuff...so i hope for your sake that im wrong.
when you get over 80k's and the converter locks up does it shudder hardcore and have bad flatspots in acceleration, especially uphill?

PerceptionTwin

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
'94 VR UTE
hrrrm yeah..

ive booked it into the mech to check it out.

and my uncle is a gearbox mechanic. (lives a bit far away thou) so if it needs major work he should be able to do it