Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox

Tom.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 commodore
problem with my gearbox, when i put it in neutral the tail shaft turns and when i put it back into park it turns again and there is a loud sound coming from the box.. i took a video of it but it is to large to show, it is only a 10sec vid

please can someone help me ?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think you’ll need a little more info, for example what does ‘tailshaft turns’ mean (is it a jolt then it stops turning - does it keep turning - etc), when does the loud sound from the ‘box happen, what sort of sound is it (is it like a grinding? Or a clunk?), and are there any warning lights or fault codes anywhere … give that a try, there are some very knowledgeable people around here, but gearbox problems like this probably need a knowledgeable person to see what’s going on & maybe after opening it up.

Also what is the engine, V6 or V8?

Tom.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 commodore
I think you’ll need a little more info, for example what does ‘tailshaft turns’ mean (is it a jolt then it stops turning - does it keep turning - etc), when does the loud sound from the ‘box happen, what sort of sound is it (is it like a grinding? Or a clunk?), and are there any warning lights or fault codes anywhere … give that a try, there are some very knowledgeable people around here, but gearbox problems like this probably need a knowledgeable person to see what’s going on & maybe after opening it up.

It is it a loud clunk when you put it in park and you can feel the gearbox jump. I had the box rebuild and they say it is normal. It never done that until now. I have contacted fair trading waiting on reply

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I would have to assume Fair Trading will tell you to return the vehicle to be repaired to your satisfaction.

Was the box you had put into the car new?
Rebuilt?

Tom.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 commodore

It a 2000 grange HSV. The box was a rebuild. Cause the second gear not working properly

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
How are the donuts in the tailshaft looking?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
...if I take off to quickly the diff bounces

Don't worry about the axle tramp, that's a special feature Holden designed into the Commodores.