Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearboxes

N

NOISY_1

Hey Guyz,
i currently have a n/a vl commie with the standard auto gearbox. i want to put a 5 speed short shift in it but i dont know what sort to get and how much it will cost me. i was told that a supra 5 speed with slip straght up the same as a r32 gts-t will. can anyone please give me prices and people that will suply and install it for me. i am in adelaide.

cheers. kris. ;)

N

nezza

i hear that vls have transmission computers which require a lot of changing.
Things to plan for in a conversion situation - (all depending on the model and the conversion)
* Obviously the gearbox and clutch, or transmission and converter
* Brake/clutch pedals and pedal box
* Speedo cable or speedo pickup
* Starter motor
* Tail shaft
* Gear shifter and console
* Flywheel or flex plate (and bolts)
* Vacuum or cable kick down fitment
* Cable or Hydraulic clutch
* Memcal change

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
If you hang around ct.com.au for long enough you can pick up a full manual conversion for around 600-700 including the computer. But some people say that the Auto computer still works fine with the manual.

R32 box is similar to the MF5 which is the vl box, if you can pick that up.
Don't actually need a new pedal box, just the clutch pedal, however its probably easier to track down a complete manual box.

The plastic console for the center to surrround the gear stick is actually going to be the hardest bit to find.

Wouldn't bother paying for a supra box unless your loaded;) Not going to need it with your power.

N

NOISY_1

hey bextor. thanks for the info. wat is that web site? (ct.com.au) id didnt work when i tried it. is that short for something. cheers.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Yeah mate its abbreviated.

www.calaisturbo.com.au, and do a search when you get there;) You should be able to find nearly anything in regards the the conversion.