Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gearing descisions YZ 250

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
heyez,
Got a YZ 250 and want to gear it down a little. Currently its running at 14/48 and i barely get out of 2nd and it struggles to get up hills. I do alot of trail type riding. Ive got hold of a 52 tooth rear, and my front 14 tooth is buggered. Wondering if i should get another 14 tooth front to run with the new rear 52 tooth, or get a 13 or 12 tooth front with the 52 rear. Not sure how crazy its gonna be though. Thoughts anyone?

VPWPN

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore 3.8ltr
if you do more trail riding you would want more bottom end power so i would stick with the 14 tooth front other wise your bike will feel like its stuck in 3rd the lowest front sprocket i would go would be 13 but wont really make a difference.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
a lower number of front sprocket teeth will gear it down and give you more rear wheel torque at a given speed, but reduce your top speed. same as more teeth on the rear sprocket.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
yeah, i want more low end power. i cant get over the slow tricky stuff cause im too heavy and the 2 strokers got no torque. im always mashing the gear down thinking its in second.