Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Geek2.0's VP Berlina

Discussion in 'VN - VP - VG - VQ' started by Geek2.0, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    G'day! I thought it was finally time i made a build thread.

Model: 1992 VP Berlina

Colour: Sapphire Blue

Engine Type: stock 3.8 V6 (reconditioned VR motor)

Exhaust: Pacemaker extractors with stock cat back

Gearbox: T5 (conversion)

Diff: Borg Warner LSD

Brakes: Stock rear, front are VR calipers (rebuilt by me) with DBA T2 slotted rotors 289mm

Suspension: Almost all the bushes are new, KYB shocks and low (FE2 height) king springs all round

Wheels/Tyres: Stock 15" wheels with the Berlina hubcaps

Other mods: Mace engineering memcal (payed for itself in fuel)

Future mods: Eventually (years) some form of worked 5L

Things I've done:

Fixed a bunch of interior (Epoxy kneed it is brilliant, i might do a how to on this later)
    inhibitor switch spring
    Recovered headliner
    Fixed odometer
    Fuel lines December/2012
    Fuel gauge
    Front wheel bearings january/2013
    Drivers side lower control arm feb/2013
    Outer tie rod ends feb/2013
    Front sway bar D chassis busshes 26mm feb/2013
    Rear sway bar D chassis busshes 19mm feb/2013
    Rear sway bar link assembly feb/2013
    LSD installed and new wheel bearings 170000k may/2013
    MACE Memcal june 2013
    Replace main charge/ground wires june 2013
    Bosch coil packs July 2013
    CCV hose (source of vaccum leak) august 2013
    King springs/KYB shocks august 2013
    Radius rod to K frame bush (whiteline) august 2013
    Manual conversion 01/14 178,000
    Pacemakers 01/14
    Rear upper trailing arms. 01/14
    Welded up centre muffler 01/14
    New brake lines, calipers (australian brake resleaving), discs and pads 03/2014
    New clutch fork fitted 03/2014

Things that still need to happen:

Respray
    Tint
    Rear lower trailing arm bushes
    Dash board
    Repair seats (wobbly)
    Engine mounts
    Fix central locking bugs

1_11.jpg

22.jpg

000.jpg

She's nothing special to most, but to me it is quite sentimental, my grandfather bought it new and i was bought up in it, i love driving it and for now just plan on fixing everything and making it a very tidy, comfortable car to drive everyday.

With that in mind, the respray begins.

Cheers for reading!

2. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    I should start off by saying that I have never painted anything before (bar a door i practiced on a week ago) and everything that im doing has been self taught, most of it from this forum, in particular from threads by hy_ryder, Dakster and 383 hatch.

2014-06-20 16.59.16.jpg

I started off by washing the car to get rid of all the grime, and then took some before photos, hopefully in a few weeks i can take the afters.

1_17.jpg
    I had this dent in the sill professionally pulled as i didn't have a stud welder (can highly recommend David Hand Smash repairs in fyshwick Canberra)

1_24.jpg
    1_28.jpg
    1_3.jpg
    As you can see the clear on all the top surfaces is pretty bad.

Next i went around the car and while it was still a bit shinny i used a marker to circle all the dents, i figure they would be easier to see before i started sanding.

1_21.jpg

Since then I've been pulling everything off the car, lights, bumpers, door handles and the front and rear glass. Pulling the rear screen out i was greeted with a nasty surprise:

2_7.jpg

and this is what it looked like after hitting it with a grinder/die grinder:

2014-07-07 12.24.45.jpg

I'll hopefully be cutting this section out and welding in some fresh steel early next week.

Found some rust under front screen too under where the Body ID plate sits:

4_7.jpg
    3_4.jpg

Not sure how well this will clean up, if its still nasty ill weld in a fresh piece.

Today i scraped off the cracked sealant from the roof channels, still need to finish cleaning it up and decide if i will add more sealant or just paint it. Thoughts?
    3_17.jpg

Pulled off the LH front fender so i could take off the aerial thingo, I'll probably replace the mast while its out as it doesn't always go down.

4_1.jpg

And then i tried my hand at panel beating:

4_8.jpg

And discovered i still have a lot to learn :p Still, not bad for a first attempt if i do say so myself!

That's all for tonight!

3. somefool

somefool Member

Members Ride:
    1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
    sweet, a lot of work ahead of a with the respray but thats the fun of it! my seats are wobbly too, whats the go with that

4. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    Sure is! And this dumb cold Canberra weather doesn't help!

I can't remember who posted it but if the backrests are the wobbly bit its often a bushing inside the back rest winder. I've already tried replacing that with part of a hacked up sway bar link pin bush but was unsuccessful. In my case i think that it is lower down in the rails. I plan on pulling apart some spare VR seats from the shed and seeing if i can make at least one good one.

5. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    Today was one of those days where you spend all day working and don't seem to have much to show for it.

First off i snapped one of the C pillar covers, trying to track down a replacement now. For anyone trying to remove these i found the trick was a sharp chisel and a mallet, starting from the front to the back you drive the chisel through the sealant, although that snaps the clips, but saves the whole piece.

5_1.jpg

Then i spent the afternoon continuing to grind off as much rust and garbage as possible from the screen surrounds (front and rear), now I'm ready for mate (with much more welding experience than myself) to give me a hand to weld in fresh steel.

5_5.jpg
    5_3.jpg
    5.jpg

6. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    Decided to take advantage of the car being off the road and fix my clutch pedal, ever since i did the conversion it has been really jerky and hard to release smoothly. After some investigation i found that it was probably the clutch pedal bushes, naturally NLA from holden and no one could tell me the sizes, pulled the pedal out and measured it myself and order some online.

[​IMG]

I also found that the bolt through the pivot bolt through the spacer seemed to have too short a non-threaded section so i grabbed a better one (new bolt on left, will need to trim it).

2014-07-15 19.07.03.jpg

Once i get the bushes and if it works I might write a quick how to.

The other day i also bought a new electric antenna mast, its been playing up for a while and with the guard off was too good an opportunity. Ended up taking the mast back and swapping it for a VY one, turns out some idiot installed a new antenna at some point. It was from the wrong model, it was improperly grounded and the water seal hadn't been installed properly. On the plus side, i found my water leak.

Now back to the respray, I've got the roof 50% down to primer, will finish it off tomorrow and hopefully weld in those patches, once the patches are in everything should start progressing alot faster!

2014-07-15 19.05.35.jpg

7. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    Today was a productive day! Got most of the roof down to primer. I've found the quickest way to strip the paint is to carefully knock the clear off with a poly disc on a grinder, then use either a block or an RO to get it flat. I plan on going slow and using the old paint as a bit of a guide coat as i go.

2014-07-16 18.15.19.jpg

Then my mate charlie came round to help with the welding, took us a while to get all the settings correct as he is used to much more expensive welding gear haha. But once we got it right it filled some of the thin spots where i had grinded out rust.

2014-07-16 18.15.32.jpg

Then i started making up patches for the other two areas, we should hopefully weld these in tomorrow.

2014-07-16 14.35.52.jpg
    2014-07-16 16.57.16.jpg
    2014-07-16 18.14.57.jpg
    2014-07-16 18.15.03.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    Got the clutch pedal back in, proved to be way easier than i thought! The hardest bit is reconnecting the clutch cable, I'm sure anyone with big hands will understand my trouble. For future reference the clutch pedal bush dimensions are:

clutch pedal.png
    This is a VR pedal box in a VP i assume the clutch pedal bushes are the same VN-VR maybe VS aswell.
    I also put a new pivot bolt in as the old one's non threaded section seemed to short and was wearing grooves in the spacer.

2014-07-15 19.07.03.jpg

pedal feels heaps better now, i look forward to taking it for a drive! I got the clutch pedal bushes here: http://www.kingswoodcountry.com.au/buy/holden-ford-brake-clutch-pedal-bushes-bush-shim/70240

Now onto business, my mate came over and welded in those patches for me, and what a great job! a picture says 1000 words.

we started with the patch at the rear:
    5_17.jpg
    It was a bit of a pain but looked good at the end.

Then did the front which worked heaps better!

5_3.jpg 5_5.jpg 5_8.jpg 5_10.jpg 5_26.jpg

And did some sanding for good measure.
    5_2.jpg 5_1.jpg 5.jpg

Pretty happy with how its going, hoping to get a few extra sets of hands over the next few days and power through the sanding!

9. WazzaVN

WazzaVN Wazza VN

Members Ride:
    VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
    Awesome man. Love seeing people give it a go. Going to put some nice 2 pack on there?

You can watch as many videos and read as many guides as you want but you will learn the most when you start pulling the trigger. Just try not to stress too much either it's not the end of the world if you don't like the result and have to knock it down and recoat it while it's all still apart and masked.

Hope it goes smoothly for you man best of luck and can't wait to see the pics!

10. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    Cheers Wazza! sadly no 2k, i would have liked to considering all the positives but at the end of the day i am spraying it in my garage and don't have a proper ventilator, apparently my mask's filters are rated for isocyanates but i decided not to take the risk.

I'm sure learning alot! I did a practice door a few weeks back and it turned out quite well!

I've now got the roof and both rear quarters down to bare metal, and used some "Exit rust" on the windscreen channels to get rid of anything i missed, big mistake. I'm sure its a great product on very rusted metal, but the process of cleaning it off is to scrub it with water, putting surface rust everywhere. So went out today and got some de.ox.it which seems like exactly what i need, ill hit it with that tomorrow and hopefully get some etch primer on!

Attached Files:

11. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    Finally got some paint on!

Masking is a PITA, took forever, im sure I'll get faster next round.
    Got the rust treatment on (cam de.ox.it), it seemed to work very well on the little bit of surface rust that had formed.

When it came time to spray i discovered that i am pretty terrible at it :p, again hopefully I will learn fast and improve before i get to the colour and clear.

Here's what it looks like now, all the stuff i stripped down is in etch primer, very happy with most of it. Although the roof is a bit thin and has some dry spray, i don't think that will matter though.
    2014-07-25 16.03.17.jpg 2014-07-25 15.26.31.jpg 2014-07-25 16.03.44.jpg

And the collateral damage:
    2014-07-25 15.26.25.jpg

I had a portable light clipped to the windscreen, the cord wrapped around my air hose and then i pulled it all down, smashing both. Doesn't matter i was going to replace it anyway.

It was nice to see my DIY ventilation system worked well, its just a bunch of wooden framing with a thermo fan from an accent hooked up to an old computer PSU, that forces air through some foam and puts clean air into my booth.
    2014-06-26 14.32.16.jpg

12. Roidz

Roidz New Member

Members Ride:
    VR MANUAL S-PAC
    Coming along great mate! Keen to see how you go with spraying the old girl yourself!
    I wanted to do something like that but got lazy and didn't bother haha.

I might have to check out the bushings and pedal setup like you mentioned because mine isn't exactly up to scratch either!

13. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    Cheers mate!
    Lazy or smart hahaha, its proved to be alot of effort! I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Didn't get a whole lot done today, i put some seam sealant on and etch primed a few hidden areas (where the boot and guards mount). Hopefully will get the primer on tomorrow.

14. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
    loving that bare metal. keep up the good work... :spot on:

15. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    Cheers ryder!

I got the roof and rear quarters in my primer filler, as usual learning lots. I found after doing a coat that everything seemed tiger striped, turned out i had the fan way to wide and had thin areas in the middle. I think i might grab one of my spare practice panels and spray some primer on it so that when it comes time to spray the colour i can do a good test section before shooting the car.

2014-07-27 16.09.35.jpg 2014-07-27 16.09.26.jpg

Then i used some stone guard over some etch and black paint where the front guards mount, the hope is that the stone guard will stop the paint getting rubbed off again.

2014-07-27 15.36.50.jpg

Did the front wheel wells while i had the can out

before:
    2014-07-27 15.47.17.jpg

after:
    2014-07-27 15.59.23.jpg

then sprayed the lower windscreen panel:
    2014-07-27 16.09.43.jpg

and stripped the bonnet back to primer:

2014-07-29 17.29.25.jpg

Should hopefully be able to knock it back to metal and etch it tomorrow.

WazzaVN likes this.
  16. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    Ended up putting painting the bonnet back a day when i realised how bad the seams were. Both the bonnet and the boot's inner seams where the skin is tack welded to the frame needed some attention. Same deal as the roof, factory sealant cracked and let moisture in.

This is what one of the boot seams looked like after scraping off some of the old gunk:
    2014-07-30 02.35.55.jpg

Cleaned it all up, hit it with some rust treatment, etched, added fresh sealant (what a messy job!) and then hit it with some colour.
    2014-07-30 17.32.55.jpg

Freshened up the inside of the front guards while i had the gun set up, you don't see it unless the bonnet is open. I mainly just wanted to protect it from future issues (old paint was flaky):
    2014-07-30 17.29.30.jpg

Pretty happy with how it all turned out!

About a month back i bought a very small pot of paint to play with and get in some practice. The paint supplier sold me different brands of everything, etch, primer, colour/clear and thinners were all different brands. My practice panel came out the wrong colour and i think the cause might be an incompatible thinner (guessing here). Anyway out of interest here is a pic of the colour mixed with the thinner:

2014-07-30 16.51.10.jpg

The black and white's seem to separate and go to the top, no matter how much you mix it.

Needless to say i found a different paint supplier who could sell me all the same brand, he stocked PPG (which i have heard is very good paint) and it ended up being cheaper than the first place!

Attached Files:

17. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    So i re installed the antenna with its new mast, goes up heaps better now and it looked dead straight!

2014-07-31 12.48.55.jpg

re installed the guards, bonnet and boot. Had quite a few issues with panel gaps on the guards but we got that all sorted.

2014-07-31 18.15.37.jpg Hopefully it will all line up nicely when i put the bonnet stops back in.

Then sanded back the boot and bonnet, dat bare metal:

2014-08-01 15.37.57.jpg

There was some weird rust or garbage in the paint as i sanded it back:
    2014-08-01 11.19.07.jpg
    Those little browny orange spots, not sure if its rust or what. As you can see it seems to be on the DTM primer (yellow) that was sprayed sometime around 2000-2003ish. Anyone know what it is?

Did all the surface prep and rust treatment then sprayed some etch!

2014-08-01 17.47.17.jpg 2014-08-01 17.47.25.jpg

Hopefully you can see my spraying is getting heaps better :p

18. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    I haven't been posting many updates because im sick and progress is annoyingly slow.

Got the boot and bonnet in primer last Saturday:

2014-08-02 14.50.17.jpg

and since then I have been trying to prep the rest of the car for paint, as it sits the front guards and the skirts are in bare metal, and i have done some filler.

2014-08-06 16.28.04.jpg 2014-08-06 16.28.13.jpg

A bit more filler work and a final sand and i can paint that. I've also mostly taken the doors down to factory paint (sanded off all the layers of respray).

Hopefully i will have enough energy soon to get this finished!

19. somefool

somefool Member

Members Ride:
    1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
    sweeeeeeet, thatll good good when its done

20. Geek2.0

Geek2.0 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina 3.8L
    Got a bit done today, I am terrible at using filler, i cannot for the life of me get it straight first go.
    Anyway, i've hopefully put the last of the filler on and can sand it down tomorrow. Then its just a quick go over with some 180 and some clean up and ill be right to etch prime all the metal areas.
    Here's how i leave it tonight:
    2014-08-11 17.45.46.jpg