Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Geek2.0's VP Berlina

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
My clearcoat instructions say that it can be compounded after 6 hours hahah
I think the real issue putting on waxes or sealants too early, but a cut and polish (without the wax) is fine! i think.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
I went down today and cleaned everything up a bit, i had a fair bit of dry spray so i sanded that off with some 1500grit, then i roughed the whole car up with some grey scotch bright, did all my final wipe downs and then sprayed some more clear.

Continuously learning! figured out i was moving way to fast with the clear, and got heaps better results by slowing right down. I'm also not very good at spraying the horizontal surfaces and keep getting alot of dry spray, i think that is due to my angle, i have a hunch that i was spraying at like 70 or 80 degrees not 90, ah well, always wiser after the fact.

So as it sits now i should be finished painting with exception of the mirrors and bumpers.

Pics (they are awful photos from the lighting in the booth):
View attachment 174385View attachment 174386

It needs a cut and buff for sure, but i have a good feeling that it is going to look good!

I'll call the windscreen guy tomorrow and aim to get the glass re installed on Friday, hopefully that will be long enough for it to cure. I'll get the heater on and bake it a bit when i can.

kinda disappointed you ended up going 1k on this job after all the time you spent... should look ok just the same when your done buffing it (which will be never lol, youll be buffing it once a month to keep the gloss up).

anywho, the nature of 1k is that youll always get some dry spray because the materiel is drying as your spraying it. theres no real way around it. geez i hope you put enough clear on it, looks really dry... least you got your hands dirty....

:spot on:

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
kinda disappointed you ended up going 1k on this job after all the time you spent... should look ok just the same when your done buffing it (which will be never lol, youll be buffing it once a month to keep the gloss up).

anywho, the nature of 1k is that youll always get some dry spray because the materiel is drying as your spraying it. theres no real way around it. geez i hope you put enough clear on it, looks really dry... least you got your hands dirty....

:spot on:

Yeah it was a real shame when spraying to have it not look great after all that effort, but i think it will cut and buff up well, there is a fair bit of clear on there. I had 2 light coats and one heavy coat when i stopped, and i did level it out before spraying again, second attempt was one light coat with two heavy coats. So I'm pretty confident with the amount of clear, deffinetly should be enough to level it out. Only one way to find out!

I've got very busy with uni all of a sudden, and I've been lucky enough to be lent an old XF ute for a while, so will hopefully finish painting the bumpers and re-assemble everything this weekend. It went in the garage on the 10th of July, so if i can keep it under 2 months i will be happy.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Awesome job mate, Will definitely look forward to the pics when she is all cut and buffed.

Top effort.

Cheers

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
No pics for a while, smashed my phone and can't be bothered with the DSLR for the little things.

My new headlights and front grill arrived from a company called CarsRus, they look really good! Yet to test fitment though.
I was going to get the glass installed on Friday but the installer wants/needs the windscreen rubbers that still haven't arrived, tried to track them down but rare spares is giving me the run around, hopefully they will get that sorted ASAP.

Got the car out of the garage today and built some brackets so that i can paint the bumpers, cleaned them and the mirrors up and then primed them. While i was there i painted one of the rear 1/4 windows black, I'll see how it turns out, I suspect i will need a glossier black.

Will give the bumpers a light block back tomorrow and maybe paint them.
And at some point pull out the polisher, then there will be pics!

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
its sounding awesome mate... shame about the phone... cant wait for the pics....

Cheers

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Ah brilliant! Good to hear! I found it rather disappointing that rare spares only has a drivers side headlight assembly, i sent them an email and they confirmed that they only sell one headlight haha

Got the mirrors, bumpers and the other 1/4 window painted. Man i wish i could have painted like that a week ago. Off the gun they have come up looking glossy and deep, all be it with a little bit of orange peel.
The difference between what i painted today, and last week are crazy, either my technique and ability to set up the gun has improved out of site or my top coat gun's aircap was faulty as I sprayed with the aircap off my primer gun today (because my topcoat aircap clogged). The guns tips and caps are identical, the guy at the paint shop convinced me to buy two because "You'll never clean the primer out".
After seeing the bumpers I am very disappointed with the body of the car, i started wet sanding and polishing the bonnet (one of the worst panels) and it looks okay, but still no where near where i want it.

I guess its a learning curve and if after i finish polishing i decide i am really not happy with it I can always have another go. Would be a lot easier second time round!

skdrat93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive Wagon Series 1 with an SC14 Kit
That sounds likes it going to be a cracker car when its all buffed. Good luck with her.