Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Geek2.0's VP Berlina

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Started getting her back together today!

Door handles are annoying. The drives handle must have taken me an hour of frustration, but i got them all in the end.
Glued the C pillar covers back on, put the chrome stips on the 1/4 windows (bloody chrome melts in your hands, looks awful now), put the 1/4 windows back on the car, finished polishing the bonnet, installed rear garnish, taillights and my new lights, indicators and grill.
Then i re-installed the bumpers which was frustrating, the front one didnt want to line up (i suspect the LHS headlight is slightly off from an earlier fender bender) but we got it in the end. Same deal with the rear, the bar was slightly warped from sitting around for 2 months and took a while to get straight.

Have some bad photos:

2014-09-16 19.04.58.jpg2014-09-16 20.58.35.jpg

The plan for tomorrow is to install the wipers, mirrors, door rubbers, side indicators, guard liners and just enough interior to not annoy Mr. policeman. Then i need to clean the engine bay and exhaust because of all the dust.

Night.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
thing looks grandpa garage fresh, people going to think its come out of a 20 year storage, all OG.... looks good man

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Looking good mate,

the good thing about it now is you can drive, enjoy and have the satisfaction of knowing you done everything yourself!

Cheers

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Grandpa spec is quite literally the idea!
Think i should order some mud flaps to top it off!

Driving it after all this time has been so nice, its been running really well. It only had 2 issues on the first drive, it smells bad (paint dust on the exhaust) and the battery was low enough that the power windows wouldn't go up (not bad for 2 and a bit months without driving more than 3 meters!).
Both of those issues are obviously resolved now.

2014-09-20 18.42.00.jpg2014-09-18 09.28.28.jpg

All I've done lately is put it back together, all the little bits and pieces like the interior. Today i chucked the trolley strips back on, they have shrunk a little but not too bad luckily!
2014-09-20 18.41.16.jpg

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Cheers!

Not much has being happening (getting busy at uni), i did however hit up Speeds holden today. I've never been out there but was pleasantly surprised!
He stocks rare spares stuff and lots of old genuine left over stock, he is also happy to order from anywhere (including overseas). He had in stock some new side markers and both sets of mudflaps!

2014-09-24 16.30.34.jpg

Stoked!

Still no luck with the bonnet and boot lion badges, if anyone has any suggestions let me know!

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Got the mud flaps on, they look great! (ill grab a decent photo soon) Just like how I remember the car as a kid.

2014-10-01%2007.37.57.jpg

Now I need to find a way to stop them scraping, the front scrapes over sharp speed bumps, which can be avoided. But the rears scrape going up driveways and other regular gradients. I've got some spring pads in the garage (nolathane ones) so I might chuck those in the rear to raise it a little bit, and if that doesn't work enough I think I will have to modify the brackets and move the rear flaps up higher.

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Nothing particularly interesting has been happening, I've just been driving everyday. Had a few issues with broken exhaust hanger and blown fuses.
Today the clutch went nuts. The clutch is new (when i did the manual conversion almost a year ago) and i had alot of issues with the clutch fork, that i ended up replacing with a CRS one.
Anyway, normally the friction point is up very high, and the bottom 10ish cm of travel is free travel. But today the friction point dropped, it starts engaging just off the carpet, and its engaged enough to roll slowly. It still slips until i reach where the engagement point used to be. Once the clutch is out it does not slip or act strange at all.

Unless i push the pedal deep into the carpet it crunches gears.

I doubt the clutch fork could be the issue, as its a solid bit of cast iron, it looked very well built. The plastic throw out bearing housing had been slightly damaged by the old clutch fork, but the new fork worked perfectly with it. The clutch cable is pretty shabby, when i first installed it i thought it was heat proof...its not. so it has been slightly melted, that was almost a year ago though.

Anyone got any ideas?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Got the mud flaps on, they look great! (ill grab a decent photo soon) Just like how I remember the car as a kid.

2014-10-01%2007.37.57.jpg

Now I need to find a way to stop them scraping, the front scrapes over sharp speed bumps, which can be avoided. But the rears scrape going up driveways and other regular gradients. I've got some spring pads in the garage (nolathane ones) so I might chuck those in the rear to raise it a little bit, and if that doesn't work enough I think I will have to modify the brackets and move the rear flaps up higher.

dear god....

Team-america-puke.gif