Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Geek2.0's VP Berlina

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
I really appreciate the look of that mate. That paints come up super nice and i actually like the new mud flaps too :thumbsup:

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hey geek quick question how may coats of base and clear did you put down? and did you machine polish or hand polish? cheers

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
From memory mate it was 3 coats + a mist coat (to get the metallic to stand up) of base, and about 3 of clear.
When it came time polish the paint job looked awful (very dry) and required quite alot of attention, i used lots of wet sandpaper of varying grits (1000, 1500 and 2000) by hand, for some of the large flat panels i used a RO sander with wet 1500grit although i didn't really like using the RO, i felt i got nicer results by hand.
Once everything was sanded flat i used a RO polisher with varying degrees of pads and polish.

Most of the cutting and polishing stage i learnt from a youtube channel "AMMO NYC".

I Haven't updated this thread for ages! I got distracted by an old FJ60 Landcruiser. The Berlina hasn't had anything exciting done since, just regular maintenance, the paint is holding up very well and apart from a carpark door ding still looks just as good!

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Top Job mate, You should be very proud of yourself. I did say i was going to paint the Senator one day... well that day came... was suppose to be a quick touch up... turned into a full respray... lol.

Learnt alot with metallics (first metallic car that i have sprayed)... lol.

Anyway here are some pics of the finished product (not perfect but looks a thousand times better than what it did), it is in 1k thats the only downfall... so to keep it looking good it needs to be polished fairly often. When i get a bigger shed and some more money I will endeavour to spray it in 2 pak.

Attachments

• Senator 4.jpg
    Senator 4.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 413
  • Senator 1.jpg
    Senator 1.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 437
  • Senator 1.jpg
    Senator 1.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 453
  • Senator 3.jpg
    Senator 3.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 435
  • Senator 7.jpg
    Senator 7.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 439

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Seeing a VN/VP with paint actually still on it makes me wanna own one again....