Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gen 3 overheating???? help!!!!

MrSirWantalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV GT-P Boss 335 & 2000 VX Berlina 5.7lt (toy)
Something else to consider!.....I had the same prob with mine...was starting to run hot whilst on the highway. Always ran at 91 always.....but started to get up to 98 on the highway & the only reason I knew is I heard the thermo fans come on low speed, anyway turns out I had a crack in the hot side header tank....So in my wisdom I thought bugger it I'll buy a new radiator that way I wont need to have the old radiator dismantled , cleaned out & will have new header tanks ofcourse.....Well thats when the **** really hit the fan, put new radiator in & took it for a drive & for some reason it ran hotter than before....I mean like 115!. Took it to natrad in toowoomba, they could'nt find what was wrong.....anyways to cut a reallly long & painful story short....It was my water pump! It gave no indacation of failing, no water leak & no fins left on it!!! completely worn out.....SO if it turns out that its not the obvious things......do urself a favor & have water pump pulled off & checked....once you pull it off there is a plate behind you can take off & check the impeller.....Sorry for the long story!....Good Luck!

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If you put it into engineering mode, you get a digital temp. I tried this morning.

In traffic (crawling) mine varies between 94 and 100deg. You can hear the fans kick in at 100. Not 100% sure if there's a low speed fan before that.

At 100k temp sits at 88deg and stays there.

MrSirWantalot

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV GT-P Boss 335 & 2000 VX Berlina 5.7lt (toy)
Yea mines a 91 degree thermostat. Low speed fans cut in at 98 & high speed at 104

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Possible faulty Radiator cap.