Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gen 3 overheating???? help!!!!

Xfordman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7tr GEn3 SS
hey ppl i got a gen 3 SS and well i just got my o2 sensors changed and also my fuel pressure switch changed, b4 i got them changed the car started to overheat.

it gets up to about 3 quarters and no warning light has gone off just yet, but im hoping its nothing to big... i asked a mate from holden what it might be he said thermostat or the radiator might be blocked. im getting the termo changed and flushing the radiator myself.... does anyone think it might be anyhting else.... and any suggestions on flushing radiator myself.... i no a little about cars but prob not as much as most ppl on this site so any help would be apprciated....

also does the VT gen 3 SS Series 2 have a warning light for the overheating or did that come out in the Vx series...

kage.....

any help would be greatly appreciated......:thumbsup:

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
mate take it to a radiator joint.

got mine fully flushed (engine, heater core and radiator) with new gaskets and a thermostat for $150..... they also pressure test so if there are issues with the system they will know

GenIII are recommended to be flushed every 5 years so do it now properly with the proper holden long life V8 coolant and you wont have to worry about it for 5 years

VZLAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Check the thermo fans

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Yeh, thermo relay could have crapped it self, happens quite often, so thermo wont kick in. Does it only heat up in city style driving??

Best you take it to a respected radiator place and have your system pressure tested etc.

bails

Reaction score
VT SS do have warning light as i found out when my pulley came off stopping the cooling system, should come up "HOT" on the dash screen and start beeping, luckily i was able to pull over otherwise it could of been nasty.

Xfordman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7tr GEn3 SS
thanks guys ..... yeah my mate that works at holden said they send them away to get flushed as they dont do em themselves... so he going to undo it and send it off...

i dont no aout city style driving ause its wierd... cuase when i go up hill or speed up to 80 or above is when it gets hot.... and when i stop at red lights or the car is just idoling it goes back down to just above half way....

..... im confused lads.... is this going to cost me a fortune.... casue the termo cost me 70.... and they said another 140 to get it flushed.... im going with the termo at the moment if it stil happens ill be going toraditor place....

abambrook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
"thanks guys ..... yeah my mate that works at holden said they send them away to get flushed as they dont do em themselves... so he going to undo it and send it off...

i dont no aout city style driving ause its wierd... cuase when i go up hill or speed up to 80 or above is when it gets hot.... and when i stop at red lights or the car is just idoling it goes back down to just above half way....

..... im confused lads.... is this going to cost me a fortune.... casue the termo cost me 70.... and they said another 140 to get it flushed.... im going with the termo at the moment if it stil happens ill be going toraditor place...."

Hey xfordman. What did you find to be the root cause of your overheating issues? I just a Gen 3 and its doing the same thing as what yours was doing.

Cheers

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Check if your loosing coolant or not. Although if it only gets to 3/4 chances are your not.

If you are, radiator pipes, water pump, cracked radiator etc

If your not, fans, thermostat, blocked radiator etc
So after a drive, park up and let it idle. Do the fans kick in as it goes past half?
Take the thermostat out and put it in some boiling water, does it open?
If the above are ok, get it pressure tested (I'd suspect a blocked radiator in this case, but other parts could be blocked too)

The temp on my vy ss doesn't move at all, traffic or open road. Always sits at 1/3

abambrook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
Nah it's not loosing any coolant at all. OK cheers thanks for that ill have a look into it. Yea i never use to have an issue always use to sit where yours does cruising on the hwy or in traffic. Only started playing up on the weekend. Cheers for the advice ill look into it :)

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Good luck. Overheating can be a mission.

Running the heater on full bore does help. My vs used to go up to half in traffic then fan would kick in and go back to 1/4. Heater would hold it at 1/4 while idling.

3/4 shouldn't damage the engine but worth fixing.