Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gen 3 owners help, please

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
hey everyone,

i had my vy ss auto 1st and 2nd gears of my transmission reving out and then chirping into second gear, holden (subleted out) recoed 1st and 2nd gear of the box under used car warranty, it was a bit better when i got it back, but as started doing it again, i had an allignment and tyre balance done durring last week by a tyre place we use through work, and the owner picked it up and drove it there and back, he said that there was something wrong in the gearbox aswell, as it did it to him, u rev it at half to three quater throttle, at about 60km's and it revs it out holds it for a second then chirps into second gear, it also feels laggy from time to time, like its got no guts, its had fuel filter, spark plugs, oil change (good oil) and filter, air filter, diff oil, the auto as stated b4, a new throttle position sensor and pcv pipe replaced, so has been up to date and looked after, could this transmission be on the way out or are they all like this? going to holden 2moro for a tech to go for a test drive with me and c if they can fix it as its still just inside the 12 months since it was done. also sometimes has a harsh shift, was told this was cause it had been recoed, more pressure in the gearbox, most of the time its good, but every now and then its like this, especially when giving it a bit to overtake, any help greatly appreciated.

also whats a change ova gearbox worth? as i have an extended warranty on the car.

thanks,

Ben.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
also i know there were some problems, when it was taken back to holden and the auto had to be taken out again, straight after it had been recoed, it wouldn't drive properly or they couldn't get the software to run properly for the auto.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Why would they reco a box? It is cheaper to buy one new, they only use a 4L60. If i were you i'd **** it off and buy a 4L65E can pick them up for around $1500 brand new, thats if you want it fixed properly.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
whats the 4L65E? are they alot better than the 4L60? u'v got me interested now, as i have warrnty upto $1,500 for the gear box, and i can replace it my self, do i need to do any mods to where it bolts up and sits? also will the computer still read it? what needs to be changed, will it come with a new torque convertor or get a better one to suit?

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
don't know alot about holden gear boxes, also holden recoed it under used car warranty so it would have been a quick cheap as possible fix.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Hmmm, that's no good mate. Luckily, I haven't had any such problems with my auto. I'm no expert, but it sounds to me more like an electronic/computer issue rather than the box itself.

Does it do the same thing with the Power button on or off?

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
does the same with the power button on, went to holden yesterday, they reset the ecu after going for adrive with me, as they said they've had a couple as bad and it fixed them, but it was still doing the same thing, i dropped it off last night and they took it for a drive and did some checks and tests on it today and they said there's deffinatly something in the box slipping, so they've sent it to there auto repairer to get the box stripped down and checked to see what it needs, and what it is. so will find out either 2moro or friday maybe, i said i don't want it back till its 100% fixed and asked them to get the guy that went with me to test drive it before i get it back as he knows what its like, he said there not normally that bad, it was ok for a bit after it had 1st and 2nd recoed last time, not 100% but alot better and the last couple of months has started getting worse again, so know just wait and see what they fined.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
also they checked for trouble codes, no codes in there, the guys at holden were realy helpfull, not there fault either as they didn't do the rebuild, as they sublet it out, just incase anyone thought i was haveing a go at them, im not they were realy helpfull there.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
got my vy ss back the other week, the auto place finally found it in the valve body a solenoid had burnt out, they replaced it and it is like a brand new car, drives heaps better, punchier of the line and right through the rev range, no more slipping and chirping gears, and no more bouncing of the limiter, a nice clean gear shift now, love driving it even more :D

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Thanks for sharing the diagnosis with us - good to know for future reference. :thumbsup: