Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gen III V8 Noise.

Do you think the Gen III V8 sounds like a woos V8?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
J

Jaime S.

I hang out at my local Holden Dealer holding yard with my mates who work there all the time.

But about a month ago, I was watching my mate back a couple of BRAND NEW VY Series II SSs into the showroom when it came to me, it was a V8.

Come on Holden bring on a real V8!

Why the hell should I spend $49,990 (plus on-road costs and other crap) on an SS when the V8 engine sounds like a bloody V6 on idle!?

It's just not on!

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
it could be a bit louder that's for sure

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I can't say I see too many Gen III's out there on the road with standard exhausts unless they are a company car. Sure they could do something to improve them but then people might complain it's too noisy.

You can't please everyone that's for sure.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Yeah my new VX sounds very quiet.. even when i give it a boot. I will have to spend lots to get a new exhaust so it will sound better. There's more money gone

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
lol i know some holden engineers, they spend mucho R&D getting the exhaust note right. the issue is that V8s are sold to all sorts of folks, families, executives, revheads. they can't make it sound like a street machine, i believe the monaro has a different note to the SS.

R

Rajah

QUOTE (VXWAGMAN @ Jan 9 2004, 09:24 AM) Yeah my new VX sounds very quiet.. even when i give it a boot. I will have to spend lots to get a new exhaust so it will sound better. There's more money gone
I have exactly the same car as you do. When we got it it was quite, like a V6 as was previously mentioned, but we soon fixed that problem. Being a wagon, you don't want it too loud otherwise it will drone through the cabin. That was one thing we were very concerned with and we are stoked with the results.
I'm not too sure on the technical aspects of what was done, it's now a twin system with a duel tip. Most stock Holden V8's have the oval tip but a modified one will have a dual one. It sounds a hell of a lot louder now. We got the exhaust done and the Mass Air Flow Sensor done for $735.00, that was just over 12 months ago. It's now rated about 250kw at the flywheel.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
Nice. I saw your pic on another posting. I dunno about the body kit but the Engine mods sound pretty sweet. I will have to upgrade to twin cat exhaust and upgrade the sensor. I also recoment the Induction kits. They save you a heap in fuel and make the engine run better and couple that with a unifilter or KNM one and that should do the trick.