Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gen3 & auto into HX kingswood sedan

abcent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina S2
looking into putting a Gen3 & auto conversion into my HX sedan project & was just wondering if anyone had done it or knew anyone worth talking to about it?

things like where would i find engine & trans mounts? would I have to change any engine sensors? need different guages? speedo cable? can I bolt a cable throttle body onto it? (an where would I get one), any other things that I havent thought of?

I'll be sure to put up posts of the project, bit boring right now though as its just in the process of striping back to bare metal.

cheers for any help

Berin

love the general

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute daily hj gts project
castlemaine rod shop have pretty much everything needed. Its pretty pricel though

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh castlemaine rod shop and any hot rod shops would have have done a few, i know eraly commodores you have to change a few things around, but a kingswood should be ok to drop straight in being a bigger engine bay and if originally a v8 i think mounts should be ok, will need one for gearbox and possible custom tailshaft but not sure on length may be ok for kingswood, would be a good project though.
i think will need different gauges or could get modified to suit.

can bolt cable throttle body on to it, any gen3 prior to the vz is cable throttle body, vz was electronic.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Sounds like a decent project :)

But I have to ask... it IS a HX - what's wrong with a big block and a powerglide? :p

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
big block and blower hanging out the bonnet top fuel styles :D

abcent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina S2
yeah big block was the original thoughts but it's been done to death a bit so I thought I'd go more of a retrotech type ride, newer running gear as well as newer interior converted into it. Maybe metal mountain on then Ls1 down the track.

figure the Ls1 will make good power stock for now & save a lot of weight being all alloy, hard to go past it.