Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gen3 dyno question

Gen3Jonesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS Gen3
Hey guys!

I've recently had a fair bit of work done on my VTII SS gen3...

Heads
Cam 224/234
OTRCAI
Highflow Cats
Springs + Pushrods
Extractors + Twin 3 inch system
VX Manifold + 80mm throttle body
Mafless tune + rev limiter up 500rpm
3000rpm converter

And a rebuilt t700 with stage 2 shift kit and cooling system going in tomorrow.

Diff ratio's are still standard.

Now with that all out of the way... Onto the question...

On the dyno she made: (@ Wheels)
271.5 kW @ 5502rpm
1186.1 Nm @4191rpm

BUT....

My understanding of a dyno pull is that it should be done in 3rd gear, as close to 1-1 ratio as possible(I believe 3rd in the T700 is exactly 1-1?) ... The pulls that produced those figures were done in 2nd gear (1.63 - 1 ratio apparently)...
How will this effect the numbers? Is it what you would call a *True* reading?
Would I then be wrong to say "My car has 271.5kW @ the wheels"??

I've an ever growing mistrust of my mechanic, even these figures aren't up to what was promised before the mighty dollar was handed over... I would appreciate any answers you guys may have...

Cheers!

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the T700 can be a pig for kicking down to second on the dyno and a lot are done in 2nd gear unless you have the 4L60e version you can make that stay in 3rd via ALDL.

Gen3Jonesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS Gen3
Yeah it is the 4L60e box, I dont know why on earth they would do it in second gear... This does change the power/torque figures right?

At this stage I dont really want to release who did the work... Though I'm not too impressed with them I'm not going to dog them by name... Yet....

Second and Fourth fried on the dyno, as I pretty much expected... But with the new tougher box installed we'll be giving it another few dyno runs and a bit of tune tweaking next week... I'll give them that chance before naming names... :)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
they normally calibrate the dyno to suit what gear its in anyway depends what mode its on and what gear they tell it its in.

Gen3Jonesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS Gen3
Oh, and as for sticking it on another dyno...

This tranny rebuild has literally DRAINED every last cent out of me... I wont be able to afford to pay for run's somewhere else for a while... And I think my partner will castrate me if I touch my bank account again anytime soon :whistling

Gen3Jonesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS Gen3
Cheers delco...

I'm pretty much worried that they are "Fixing" the figures to try and reach a promised power figure that they cant actually reach... Could be just paranoid but I've been getting a VERY dodgie vibe from them ever since the car went on the dyno...

Dunno if this is the "Mode" your talking about, but the dyno sheet says "Correction factor applied: SAEJ1349" on a Dynamic Test Systems dyno....

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
should have been in 1 to 1 gear like you said can you put the dyno sheet up for us to have a look at sounds dodge to me

lsx427

Reaction score
Website
www.seperformance.com.au
Members Ride
VY MALOO
Cheers delco...

I'm pretty much worried that they are "Fixing" the figures to try and reach a promised power figure that they cant actually reach... Could be just paranoid but I've been getting a VERY dodgie vibe from them ever since the car went on the dyno...

Dunno if this is the "Mode" your talking about, but the dyno sheet says "Correction factor applied: SAEJ1349" on a Dynamic Test Systems dyno....

Its just to hard to fake numbers on dynamic test systems-you will get caught out-

i feel on the dynamic test systems the only way you could cheat would be to increase the ramp rate but the afr ratio will be way off-

the name of the game is to get the afr's vs the temps vs the spark and so on and on, dial in spot on-so the operator is really hurting his education and his work if you ask me.

i own a dynamic test systems and i am in melb if you want to put your mind to rest-

i like to do everything in 1 to 1-sometimes its gets a bit tricky as other cars tend to kick down like some fords i done-

the way around it is to slowly feed the pedal in and a reach a speed that the trans cant kick down.....

with a auto on the dyno you need to get stuck in it asap or else it will cook the trans-

i seen to many auto cars cook on the dyno due to the temps being threw the roof-

wether a trans is good or bad-by running high temp's will destroy both-

the dynamic systems reads low from what i had come here-

5-10 rwkw dd
5-15 rwkw mainline
10-25 rwkw from a dynologic-

never had a dyno pak to compare...........

but numbers are numbers at the end of the day-

? for ya-does it go like you wanted it to go

does it feel like its got 270-280 rwkw?

I did a lot of research before buying this dyno vs the others on the market.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask-

Hope that helps.