Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

general computer questions

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Don't get any other monitor other than sony, they pwn :D

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I can't give you any advice on LCD's atm, cause I'm a bit behind the times when talking hardware... But considering you have money to burn on a fairly fast high end machine... have you ever thought of going for a projector and throwing the monitor idea away ?
IT Lecturers use them in TAFE and they are awesome !!! You can have a real cool system with one projecting your movies or games or internet straight onto a wall any size you like :thumbsup:...Atleast I know I'll still be able to program when I'm old and going blind...I'll just need a large enough wall...LOL

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Any chance of buying a media projector?

V3N0M

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 magna exec
useing lcd tv's and projectors usualy lower the quality of the images, i would go with benq they make some sweet lcd monitors, unfortunetly i dont have an lcd one yet.. maybe sometime in the future after i get my car pimped out lol. but yeah go the widescreens my mate has a benq 21inch widescreen lcd.. its kicks :D

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
a friend of mine has a 24" dell widescreen lcd. it is DAMN nice. has about 5 different inputs so you can plug in your computer through VGA, DVI, s video, etc

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
It all boils down to what your after, I recently went along the widescreen path and spent countless hours reading, research and finally narrowed it down to 3 makes, Dell, Samsung or Viewsonic.

Dell at present has some serious quality issue's with their panels at present so they were quickly scrubbed off the list, Samsung whilst a very nice screen you pay through the nose for it and the little extra's you get.

I ended up going for the Viewsonic widescreen, whilst it's only 20.3" it was very cheap and Viewsonic have a good name for quality products plus an awesome warranty which can't be said for all of the others at the time of writing this. Viewsonic is the only company to the best of knowledge which will replace the screen if even 1 pixel is dead whereas others and lets pick BenQ as a sucker you need to have 4 dead black pixels, 4 white or 10 sub pixels in order for them to exchange it. I think it's safe to safe once you find 1 it will drive you completely mad. On the otherhand we have Dell who think it's quite OK to have 6 dead pixels before exchanging it.

Anyway enough about warranty rubbish and lets get back to it, the Viewsonic was half the price of anything else out there. The Samsung for example for an extra inch was near enough to $400 more which when it boiled down to it I couldn't justify it plus the Viewsonic looked nicer to my eye's which is very important (you don't buy a car without looking at it right?).

What on earth do you need 4ms for? As you know I spent 8.5 hours a day at work at a computer and then some more countless hours when I get home and found 8ms to be perfect. IMHO these 'ms' figures are a crock, it's a manufactures way of saying our product is better than the others and they are getting away with it. Watch the way they word the response time!

As far I know a 21" 4ms I think your going to have a tough time finding anything in that range. 19" is the way of going if you so require the 4ms.

There's my quick view of it :)

Don't mind the mistakes I'm off to have tea now.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Another note on the ms thing.... 4ms monitors are usually very fast, but at the loss of quality, unfortunately it isn't a perfect world, and generally you can't have both :) As Darren said, 8ms is good enough for any application.

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Darren said:
Dell at present has some serious quality issue's with their panels at present so they were quickly scrubbed off the list, Samsung whilst a very nice screen you pay through the nose for it and the little extra's you get.
the 'banding' issue of the 24" dells are pretty much fixed with the latest revision. Still minor banding but most people dont even recognise it.
Who the hell stares at a solid gradient image all day?