Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Generic abs sensor replacement vs genuine , any thoughts

Berniensw

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 ve ute
Hi guys , was wanting to know what the general consensus is in relation to a genuine holden abs sensor vs a generic one ,anyone had any experience with this?
cheers Bernie

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Hi guys , was wanting to know what the general consensus is in relation to a genuine holden abs sensor vs a generic one ,anyone had any experience with this?
cheers Bernie
Why risk it for the sake of a few bucks???

I’d rather used genuine than brand new after market

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
I got a pair for $25 off ebay. Works fine, being installed 6 months so far

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
I got a pair for $25 off ebay. Works fine, being installed 6 months so far
Hey mate, l'll play the devils advocate here. Plenty of forum members would say the opposite.
How are we to know if a part is expensive because it's made from quality materials, or the manufacturer has put an inflated
mark up/profit margin on it.
I dare say some cheap stuff is ok
and other stuff is substandard, but the point remains, how are we to know. Apart from forums like this your in the dark, and lets face it some of the G.M. stuff is pretty howdy doody as well.

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Hey mate, l'll play the devils advocate here. Plenty of forum members would say the opposite.
How are we to know if a part is expensive because it's made from quality materials, or the manufacturer has put an inflated
mark up/profit margin on it.
I dare say some cheap stuff is ok
and other stuff is substandard, but the point remains, how are we to know. Apart from forums like this your in the dark, and lets face it some of the G.M. stuff is pretty howdy doody as well.
As with all other manufacturers….

point being in this case I’d go used genuine rather than new non-genuine (just an opinion)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
DiagnoseDan spend a while tracking a non start issue to a new aftermarket crank position sensor that was wired opposite to the genuine article… There were waveforms and to the untrained eye it looks almost perfect… but he noticed an inversion so he swapped pins and the vehicle started… :cool:

Same issue could in theory occur with sloppy aftermarket parts supplier unless that supplier has actually physically tested the part on that model rather than just looking at dimensions and some loose compatibility issues and saying it’s ok… And I’d not want near enough on ABS/ESC function…

So if one goes aftermarket parts, they do need to be checked in detail, both mechanically and electrically/electronically which may require a cro and looking at waveforms… Me, I can’t be faffed with doing such unless there's a huge difference in price that covers my effort :rolleyes: