Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Generic Vn Dash Cluster?

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by top line, Aug 10, 2018.

1. top line

top line Member

Members Ride:
    VN Sedan V6 3.800
    Hi I recently found on ebay which looked good a second-hand dash cluster for $50 so I bought it. It turned up within days but one of the white screw holders that helps to hold the unit in was broken and the part was not really that good. I contacted the owner\wreckers and they said sorry no insurance for that.

Anyhow where I'm at now is trying to replace my old vn dash cluster and are wanting to think outside the box. as in can another type fit say from a vy or somthing. Plus can I use a brand new Generic cluster? Has anyone got any ideas, maybe what they have down. I'm just looking for something of quality and looks good plus works.

2. MikeC

MikeC Member

Members Ride:
    VQ Statesman
    I'd be amazed if you find a new generic cluster that works. You are dealing with 25-30 years old technology.

There are instructions on this forum on how to fix the screw holders with araldite.

For my VQ I've picked up several clusters cheaply on ebay and cannibalized them to made up a good one.

3. 91SS

91SS Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
    Another good tip for repairing plastics is buying some fiberglass cloth for about $10 from a paint shop and its a little fiddly to work with but trim a few strands and sit it on the plastic and use super glue and spray a little Glen 20.
    Get rock hard very effective and permanent