Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Genie extractor/oxygen sensor issue

djw86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Hey guys,

I have just installed a set of Genie extractors onto my Series 1 Exec VN. The issue I have is that when I have gone to hook the oxygen sensor back up it no longer fits. The extractor has a slot for it with thread to screw in but it is too shallow.

How would I go about fixing this?

Any help would be appreciated,

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
How do you mean too shallow? Does the sensor screw into the hole but not far enough? If that's the case, quite often a spot of weld gets on the thread stopping the sensor from going all the way in.

djw86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
There is a threaded hole on the new extractor in the same place as where I took the sensor off the old one but it is only about 2cm deep. Because of this when I go to put the sensor back in, it can't go through as the hole as it hits the bottom of the threaded hole.

Even if it did manage to thread on, the bottom of the hole is sealed so I don't see how the sensor would actually sit in the extractor. I could try & find an adapter to increase the length of thread on the sensor so it does screw on but doesn't the sensor have to actually sit in the extractor?

I know this is probably terrible explanation, this is the first car I've started working on so I am picking things up as I go along.

Cheers for the help

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
OK, I understand. The Genies come with two postitions for the sensor as they are in different postions from VN to VR. The threaded part is welded to the ectractors but the hole in the pipe is not drilled. You will need to drill the hole out to make the sensor fit all the way in.

djw86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
That's what I thought I may have to do but just wanted to hear it from someone who knows what they're talking about before I started drilling holes through.

Thanks heaps for the help, saved me potential tears...