Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Genuine OEM VF Commodore Police HWY Transmission Cooler.

Panda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Redline
Hi Guys

Since I'll be towing a caravan around the 1,600kg mark behind my VF SS-V Redline in a couple of months (being built at the moment), I thought I'd contact my local Holden Stealership about a price on parts for the transmission cooler unit that was installed in the VF Police Highway Patrol Cars.

Well, my local Stealership came back with a quote totalling $1,189.85 in parts alone! I almost inhaled my coffee, I wasn't expecting that much!

Find attached the quote my local dearer sent me, would appreciate your thoughts.

Attachments

• Parts Quote - 77698.PDF
    52.4 KB · Views: 450

Panda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Redline
Yes, it is a bit of $$$. Probably save some $$$ when it comes to installation time, as it will probably be a bolt on kit (I'm hoping anyways).

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
fair whack in the fluids

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Panda69, it looks like the quote has the temperature controlled valve block so it works with the oil cooler within the radiator which help get the fluid up to the correct temperature quickly before allowing the oil to pass through the new oil/air radiator hanging out front... So I’d confirm that it does indeed have that temperature controlled valve block... get some parts diagrams as well...

I‘d guess that trans oil cooler system is the same setup as that in the limited edition motorsport, director and magnum GM Level 3 track capable models. These cars got extra engine and transmission cooling package (so they can be flogged for longer before overheating)... There was a dealer doc (posted on a thread somewhere within the forum) which highlighted the limited editions special features and provided diagrams within which may be of interest to you. I‘ll see if I can dig them up.

Yes, it’s expensive, but it’s better engineered and it will fit.

PS: here’s another option though don’t know what the delivered price will end up, given shipping and exchange rates vary, or whether there are issues with LHD Chevy SS parts in out RHD commodores (there may be subtle differences in these parts though probably not).

https://www.newgmparts.com/v-2017-chevrolet-ss--base--6-2l-v8-gas/cooling-system--trans-oil-cooler

and if you want that real limited edition cooling

https://www.newgmparts.com/v-2017-chevrolet-ss--base--6-2l-v8-gas/cooling-system--oil-cooler

Last edited:

Panda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Redline
@Panda69, it looks like the quote has the temperature controlled valve block so it works with the oil cooler within the radiator which help get the fluid up to the correct temperature quickly before allowing the oil to pass through the new oil/air radiator hanging out front... So I’d confirm that it does indeed have that temperature controlled valve block... get some parts diagrams as well...

I‘d guess that trans oil cooler system is the same setup as that in the limited edition motorsport, director and magnum GM Level 3 track capable models. These cars got extra engine and transmission cooling package (so they can be flogged for longer before overheating)... There was a dealer doc (posted on a thread somewhere within the forum) which highlighted the limited editions special features and provided diagrams within which may be of interest to you. I‘ll see if I can dig them up.

PS: here’s another option though don’t know what the delivered price will end up, given shipping and exchange rates vary, or whether there are issues with LHD Chevy SS parts in out RHD commodores (there may be subtle differences in these parts though probably not).

https://www.newgmparts.com/v-2017-chevrolet-ss--base--6-2l-v8-gas/cooling-system--trans-oil-cooler

https://www.newgmparts.com/v-2017-chevrolet-ss--base--6-2l-v8-gas/cooling-system--oil-cooler

Cheers Skylarking. I'm kinda leaning towards the items from my local dealer, at least they are designed to go straight in, and as you said, it is expensive, but it will fit.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Cheers Skylarking. I'm kinda leaning towards the items from my local dealer, at least they are designed to go straight in, and as you said, it is expensive, but it will fit.
You could check your dealer part numbers against those from the USA site and if they are the same then they will fit. If they do, then look at landing costs in comparison to those from your dealer. (The US site can also check parts against VIN and presumably our VINs are within the GM database).

A mix and match between dealer and O/S suppliers could yield a lower overall price so don’t dismiss it out hand. Heck it can also give you scope to ask for a lower price from the dealer since you can get them cheaper elsewhere (which also means you should check with other dealers if any left in your area as prices are not fixed)...

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

Thanks for the link. I compared the cost of the transmission kit from the USA with the quote from the OP. The local quote is $11.73 cheaper after factoring in delivery and exchange rates!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

One thing I do like about Murica is it’s actually a free market in most respects rather than just pretending to be one like here in Oz. Here in Australia all the genuine parts are stitched up by the stealerships and if you want OEM their cartel will make you pay top dollar for it.

In America there never seems to be a shortage of actual independent companies selling OEM parts and such and presumably GM actually sells to them wholesale. Bet you if you went to any of the glorified car importers here and told them you wanted to sell OEM parts wholesale they would tell you to fark off!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
A lot of the cost looks like pre-fabbed OE piping assemblies (similar to hydraulic steering lines) where many transmission shops would just use generic flexible trans lines, only thing is you really need to know how to use compression fittings for it to be reliable instead of just cutting hard lines and putting some clamps around the hoses you attach to them. Depending on where they bolt on or integrate this could be painful (if they go into the side of the trans). You could probably get a similar cooler for $150-$200, but the price is on point as this part seems to be about $200USD in the states.