Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Genuine OEM VF Commodore Police HWY Transmission Cooler.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
As my afore mentioned post,these are the parts and cost trade you need to fit the trans cooler to which I’ve just done,yes expensive but factory fit and look,easy to fit,you just undo top radiator bolts lean it back and slip pre assembled cooler down the front,bolt to top of radiator,remove stone guard from under radiator to bolt up trans cooler to condenser,it bolts up perfect,took me about an hour less jacking car up to top up trans oil,don’t buy Holden bolts and clips (cost heaps) scrounge around shed for them,this unit fits VEs and VFs even with OTRs,you can’t use the VE factory one with OTRs as they are huge,to undo oil lines you get a sharp tool,push back the black collar,pry out spring clip pull lines apart to hook back up just push together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 165

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Dont forget when they add the oil cooler they the dealer have to add the correct level of oil and you don't have a dip stick so how can you or how can they check the correct level without doing the check that is needed when you have a auto service on your Vf Redline. Remember the oil level has to be precise on these cars.

The oil cooler fitted to my car held around 1 litre but was not added. This is all it took to put the oil level just above the pick up tube and when i parked on a slight slope put it below. Very little room for error on the VF.

Add the fact that there is no dipstick and Johhny punter is at the mercy of the fitter.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
As my afore mentioned post,these are the parts and cost trade you need to fit the trans cooler to which I’ve just done,yes expensive but factory fit and look,easy to fit,you just undo top radiator bolts lean it back and slip pre assembled cooler down the front,bolt to top of radiator,remove stone guard from under radiator to bolt up trans cooler to condenser,it bolts up perfect,took me about an hour less jacking car up to top up trans oil,don’t buy Holden bolts and clips (cost heaps) scrounge around shed for them,this unit fits VEs and VFs even with OTRs,you can’t use the VE factory one with OTRs as they are huge,to undo oil lines you get a sharp tool,push back the black collar,pry out spring clip pull lines apart to hook back up just push together.

The part costs are fairly well spot on. My extra costs were labor which run higher because of the need to drop the Roo bar for fitting the cooler.

texicat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 1 SSV
Great info.....can you confirm this will fit with a VCM OTR on VF SS ??

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The trans level is done from under the car. There’s a rubber plug on top of the trans sump. A bit of oil should dribble out to get the level right.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Thing with the VF is unless one has a pit the car needs to go on lift so the correct level can be achieved. Fluid level must be checked when the car is straight.

Suppose most VF owners know this by now ?

Holden dropped the dip stick so it deters owners adding their own oil and possibly adding the wrong grade of oil. So the story goes anyway.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thing with the VF is unless one has a pit the car needs to go on lift so the correct level can be achieved. Fluid level must be checked when the car is straight.
It can be done at home using safety stands to safely hold car level and up off the ground as @VFSV6FORME has shown in this thread.
... Holden dropped the dip stick so it deters owners adding their own oil and possibly adding the wrong grade of oil. So the story goes anyway.
Holden dropped the drip stick to save some coin while also trying to achieve their strategy of filled for life transmission we know as planned obsolescence o_O After all, you don’t want an owner frequently changing fluid to prolong their transmission life, so gotta make it more difficult to do such :eek:

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
You're a wealth of information mate.

I learn good stuff when you post. Thanks.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The trans level is done from under the car. There’s a rubber plug on top of the trans sump. A bit of oil should dribble out to get the level right.
Checking the trans oil level is by removing a bolt from the bottom of the sump which allows any overfill to drain out the sump bolt (through a vertical tube that sets fluid level when oil at the correct temp).

Filling trans fluid is done via the rubber plug on the right side of the trans just above the sump flange. This is where the filler tube used to plug in so it’s an easy retrofit if you get the correct tube (and don’t have extractors) Somewhat described here though there was a thread with part numbers and pics but can’t find it.

The rubber plug is in a great location to be covered in crud and if not cleaned well by lazy mechanic before filling, crud can enter. Guess in such case, the lash mechanic knows you’ll be back soon :oops:

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
Texicat,OTRs go on ok with factory trans oil cooler,the only thing to do is get your heat gun out and warm up the bottom of the mouth where it touches the cooler bracket,you just heat up and press it up till it clears and let cool,you can see in the foto where it touches,you don’t have to bend it much.