Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Genuine VF HSV wheels at dealer/cost price

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
CCP junk they are; but yes you can get EV ones as well as petrol ones, I doubt they're sophisticated enough to get a hybrid to work.

Just shows that car manufacturers are still producing petrol powered vehicles, despite what we are all hearing.

MG have always been junk...They were when they were British owned and the trend seems to have continued... :)

The early British ones were plagued by electrical problems.....Not sure about the later ones, so I'll trust what you say...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
MG were probably OK when the cars everyone associates with the pinnacle of the brand were designed, in the late 50's. That was back when you just about had to rebuild your engine after 50k kms to keep it going ...

They basically couldn't afford to modernise after the MG-B; it just took them a few decades to go broke.

Manufacturers are still PRODUCING petrol-powered vehicles, they're just not putting more than "maintenance" levels of R&D into them. You won't see anywhere near the improvement in power & economy you saw in petrol cars as you saw from (say) 1995 to 2010 ... let alone from 1985 to 1995.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Just shows that car manufacturers are still producing petrol powered vehicles, despite what we are all hearing.

MG have always been junk...They were when they were British owned and the trend seems to have continued... :)

The early British ones were plagued by electrical problems.....Not sure about the later ones, so I'll trust what you say...
Great British Electrics by Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just thought I'd respond to this also ... every car designed in China is still garbage, and a lot of what's made there isn't great (eg. Teslas were never made well). MG is as bad as Great Wall and Chery and all the other similar terrible automotive abominations ... maybe the CCP's goal is to make us think Proton wasn't that bad after all?

They do seem to be able to make some cars OK, the Volvos still seem fine, although those are entirely designed in Sweden.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just thought I'd respond to this also ... every car designed in China is still garbage, and a lot of what's made there isn't great (eg. Teslas were never made well). MG is as bad as Great Wall and Chery and all the other similar terrible automotive abominations ... maybe the CCP's goal is to make us think Proton wasn't that bad after all?

They do seem to be able to make some cars OK, the Volvos still seem fine, although those are entirely designed in Sweden.

I actually saw the ad on the telly for the new MG 5 mins ago....They are a combo EV/petrol.....

What you have said is, MG haven't changed quality wise, despite their country of manufacture changing.... :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
What you have said is, MG haven't changed quality wise, despite their country of manufacture changing.... :)
Quality has probably increased … chassis & powertrain haven’t changed despite the 40-odd years in between. :)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I was never a real big fan of Australian cars while growing up
That's where the passion ignites and sets the boxes that need ticking to form the opinion of a "good car"! I was about 6 or 7 and asked my old man why this gold Falcon down the road sounded so good. It was an XR GT Falcon and he told me it had a V8 engine!

I prefer Holden's but I've never been a Ford hater as such, and may be the influence of that XR GT when my ear tuned into liking V8 exhaust notes.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I might have misheard a recent advert for the new MG, but it is a combination of Electric and petrol powered....

CCP junk they are; but yes you can get EV ones as well as petrol ones, I doubt they're sophisticated enough to get a hybrid to work.

Plug in Hybrid EV (PHEV) are very common, their new advert makes it sound like they invented the wheel.
From one point of view they are the worst of both worlds, carrying heavy batteries or engine when running the other mode.
From the other view they give you 100% EV running around town, but enough range for a proper roadtrip.

I had a PHEV Merc as my last car in the UK in 2015. Was their first one, so had plenty of teething issues and recalls. But that's the price you pay for cutting edge tech.

I think Forg has underestimated the corpse of MG somewhat. MG seem to be leading the small EV rollout here.
To be fair the original MGs weren't that well built either. To misquote Top Gear, the 1970s ones had British Communism issues instead of Chinese Communism ones.