Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Get these old folks off the roads!!!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Fun_Bucket, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    What do you guy's think about this. everyday i see some old geezer either going to slow, taking 10 go's at parking, ect ect. It's my opinion, if you've had 70-80 years whatever to learn how to drive, and you still can't do it, then get off the road!! I know their old and everything and i should cut them some slack, but if someone is at the age where their reflexes are too slow that they can't even maintane the legal speed limit, then for thier safety and everbody elses, they shouldnt be driving!!!The goverment issues them with a cheap bus fare for a reason:bang:

2. WogBoyz

WogBoyz 435rkw/590rwhp

Members Ride:
    08 VE SSV M6 Ute
    i have to agree man i was behind one today he was the first at the lights he done 50 in an 80 held up a whole lane of traffic til it split into 3 lanes, but seriously i was so pissed off i tailgated him, every single day i get stuck behind one of these drivers im sick of it!

3. nemesis_adrasteia

nemesis_adrasteia better to reign in hell

Members Ride:
    VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
    i think they shuld have regular driving tests, you wouldnt like it if someone came and took your licence at least give them a chance to keep it if theyre one of the ones that can drive, for example my grandfather hes 71 hes a very good driver safe keeps the speed limit never has a problem my grandmother on the other hand i dont think she should drive she doesnt often but it worries me when she does i think she shoul at least have a test to see that shes still ok to drive

4. WogBoyz

WogBoyz 435rkw/590rwhp

Members Ride:
    08 VE SSV M6 Ute
    yeah i heard something about making them go for ther lisence test again at 70 i think every 5yrs after that or every 10 after that cant remeber where i heard it but reakon its a good idea

5. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 New Member

Members Ride:
    Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
    Agreed. Went for a drive up through the mountains yesterday and ofcourse it's single lane each way, and some old lady was doing 40 in an 80 zone holding up 15 or so cars. She had plenty of places to pull over and let us past, but she just kept going. :bang:

6. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    My pop only has vision in one eye, which leads me to beleive he can only see certain increments of the speedo, as his his 60km/h, is a damn sight faster than mine!!!

7. Tas_HSV

Tas_HSV New Member

Members Ride:
    VR HSV Clubsport
    Now hold on fellas....we cant just target a minority group and make the state governments rich on fines for driving too slow,causing traffic jams,being a nusiance etc,what next?Take their lisences away,and jail them when they have to drive to church on sundays?Crush their wheezy geminis and camiras?Elderly profiling by the police with big stings on bingo nights and RSL clubs?......We cant give them ideas,next they might introduce draconian anti hooning legislation and target P platers,commodore drivers and the like.....now we wouldnt want that would we

8. Scooter79

Scooter79 New Member

Members Ride:
    VSII Calais supercharged
    Plenty of old folks that can't drive and plenty of old folks that CAN drive. Just like there's lots of 18 year olds that can drive and 18 year olds that don't know the difference between drive and reverse. While we're at it lets get all Asian drivers off the road. Lets remove all middle Eastern immigrants from out roads... Oh, hang on a sec... Then we'll have no taxi drivers and no bus drivers to get old people to the shops and back, so all the old people will have no choice but to drive.

This thread is a fail :whistling

9. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    This thread isn't a fail, i'm pointing more towards the safety of old people and the people around them, who insist on still driving when it is obviously well beyond their capacities.. Of course their are good old driver's out there, i wasn't saying that there wasn't, just that people need to reliase that there comes a time when your not just not as capable of doing things aswell as when you were younger.

10. Tatiana

Tatiana Russian Gymnast Staff Member

Members Ride:
    Bought a jeep
    Dude, seriously this thread is fail. People of all ages can be shocking drivers. This includes parking techniques, or rather in this case the lack of such skills. A young girl in a busy shopping centre car park today made a total fool out of herself by not being able to get her small car into a car space big enough to park a truck in. She went back and forth, and just got into a bigger mess, whilst the cars piled up behind her, unable to move till she got out of the way. Her licence should be revoked for life. :D

:lock:

11. MikesCalais

MikesCalais Trust me, I'm a Doctor

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V International
    Yehh, I reckon there are some shockers, but I know alot of oldies who can still hold themselves well on the roads, and if they are going slower than the signed speed its by only bout 5ks or so... but then ive also seen a few where ive actually turned off the rd i was on to avoid

BUT, as sashyre said, its not only the oldies... Spend 5 mins in my uni car park and youll see the definition of 'bad drivers'. You'll get someone on their red or green P's or even a full licence thinking their barina or ford Ka is three times wider than it actually is... Also 'parking bays' have no meaning as even the smallest cars manage to take up 2 spots, and apparently parking straight is something only expert drivers can do seeing as thats rarely seen.

my point is, as was Sashyre's, bad drivers come in all shapes, ages, and sizes. the end. :p

12. Lumps of cheese

Lumps of cheese welcome to the machine

Members Ride:
    83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
    I almost ran over a 18 year old female driver whilst driving a fully loaded rig. Why? Because she failed to give way and merged in my lane, didn't even look. I would have had a head on with the car coming the other way but he had the piece of mind to back off when he saw what was happenenig to give me the room to sway over so i wouldn't hit this stupid little girl. The on coming driver was an elderly gent in his 70's. Enough said.:whistling

13. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Regardless of age, there are good and poor drivers out there.

The young will always say the elderly shouldn't be driving, while we older drivers maintain that licenses are handed out at too early an age. So what's the answer?

It's true that some old drivers continue driving way beyond their "use-by" date and should have the sense to surrender their licenses. My father in law was a good example - it was finally taken from him on medical grounds - he certainly wasn't about to surrender it voluntarily.

Many "old" driverss , as per the example above, have the experience and are still healthy and alert enough to anticipate situations and avoid accidents. They tend to know their limitations far better than young drivers, who think they can do it all and handle any situation. Many older drivers remember getting into trouble themselves and, having survived the incident/s, learn from them and are the wiser for the experience.

I'm in my mid 50's and I know my limitations. I'm really not interested in speeding, but I resent the fools who block the fast lanes on freeways and won't move over. I take an active interest in the road rules and try to keep up with changes. It's so obvious that many older drivers don't and many old, bad habits persist because they were never taught nor learnt these changes.

When is a driver too old to drive? I believe that from 70 onwards, testing standards need to be stiffened. More regular testing (physical health, rule knowledge and roadcraft) of the elderly are required but governments will always cry poormouth when dealing with the real issues for road safety. And pensioner groups will always cry discrimination. And governments will always be looking to the next election and won't risk alienating voters.

14. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    Driving tests every 2 years for EVERY PERSON. These tests should include reflex tests, driving skills, road rules test. Can all be done basically at any roads centre.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  15. Scooter79

Scooter79 New Member

Members Ride:
    VSII Calais supercharged
    For everyone!

16. Hunter SS

Hunter SS Growing Old Disgracefully

Members Ride:
    2006 VE SS
    i have seen some older folk on the roads around here.... there is one old guy in particular who drives down the road between Scone and Satur at about 30kph..... it seems to take FOREVER to do the 3 kilometres to get to my house :bang: :bang: The same guy decided to drive between Scone and Aberdeen one day.... at 50kph on the highway...... there was a lot of traffic that day, and it was 7 kilometres to the overtaking lane.... by the time we got there, there was over a kilometre of traffic banked up behind him.
    I travel the New England Highway every day, and i often see people, especially the senior members of our society driving at 80kph. I am of the opinion that if you cannot do the speed limit you do not need to be driving.

17. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    Yup, i should of added that...i did mean too lmao.

18. hsvpunk

hsvpunk volunteer firefighter

Members Ride:
    vy ss II M6
    oh not another on of thses threads.....:bang::bang:

19. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    I agree with both these comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.