Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Get these old folks off the roads!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
Yehh, I reckon there are some shockers, but I know alot of oldies who can still hold themselves well on the roads, and if they are going slower than the signed speed its by only bout 5ks or so... but then ive also seen a few where ive actually turned off the rd i was on to avoid

BUT, as sashyre said, its not only the oldies... Spend 5 mins in my uni car park and youll see the definition of 'bad drivers'. You'll get someone on their red or green P's or even a full licence thinking their barina or ford Ka is three times wider than it actually is... Also 'parking bays' have no meaning as even the smallest cars manage to take up 2 spots, and apparently parking straight is something only expert drivers can do seeing as thats rarely seen.

my point is, as was Sashyre's, bad drivers come in all shapes, ages, and sizes. the end. :p

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I almost ran over a 18 year old female driver whilst driving a fully loaded rig. Why? Because she failed to give way and merged in my lane, didn't even look. I would have had a head on with the car coming the other way but he had the piece of mind to back off when he saw what was happenenig to give me the room to sway over so i wouldn't hit this stupid little girl. The on coming driver was an elderly gent in his 70's. Enough said.:whistling

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Regardless of age, there are good and poor drivers out there.

The young will always say the elderly shouldn't be driving, while we older drivers maintain that licenses are handed out at too early an age. So what's the answer?

It's true that some old drivers continue driving way beyond their "use-by" date and should have the sense to surrender their licenses. My father in law was a good example - it was finally taken from him on medical grounds - he certainly wasn't about to surrender it voluntarily.

Many "old" driverss , as per the example above, have the experience and are still healthy and alert enough to anticipate situations and avoid accidents. They tend to know their limitations far better than young drivers, who think they can do it all and handle any situation. Many older drivers remember getting into trouble themselves and, having survived the incident/s, learn from them and are the wiser for the experience.

I'm in my mid 50's and I know my limitations. I'm really not interested in speeding, but I resent the fools who block the fast lanes on freeways and won't move over. I take an active interest in the road rules and try to keep up with changes. It's so obvious that many older drivers don't and many old, bad habits persist because they were never taught nor learnt these changes.

When is a driver too old to drive? I believe that from 70 onwards, testing standards need to be stiffened. More regular testing (physical health, rule knowledge and roadcraft) of the elderly are required but governments will always cry poormouth when dealing with the real issues for road safety. And pensioner groups will always cry discrimination. And governments will always be looking to the next election and won't risk alienating voters.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Driving tests every 2 years for EVERY PERSON. These tests should include reflex tests, driving skills, road rules test. Can all be done basically at any roads centre.

Last edited:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
i have seen some older folk on the roads around here.... there is one old guy in particular who drives down the road between Scone and Satur at about 30kph..... it seems to take FOREVER to do the 3 kilometres to get to my house :bang: :bang: The same guy decided to drive between Scone and Aberdeen one day.... at 50kph on the highway...... there was a lot of traffic that day, and it was 7 kilometres to the overtaking lane.... by the time we got there, there was over a kilometre of traffic banked up behind him.
I travel the New England Highway every day, and i often see people, especially the senior members of our society driving at 80kph. I am of the opinion that if you cannot do the speed limit you do not need to be driving.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
oh not another on of thses threads.....:bang::bang:

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Dude, seriously this thread is fail. People of all ages can be shocking drivers. This includes parking techniques, or rather in this case the lack of such skills. A young girl in a busy shopping centre car park today made a total fool out of herself by not being able to get her small car into a car space big enough to park a truck in. She went back and forth, and just got into a bigger mess, whilst the cars piled up behind her, unable to move till she got out of the way. Her licence should be revoked for life. :D

:lock:

oh not another on of thses threads.....:bang::bang:

I agree with both these comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.