Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getrag Into a VR

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
I'm looking at picking a full Getrag conversion for my VR. I have found some info here but can anyone tell me what problems I will have??

It's from a VS Maloo and going to my VR V8 Berlina!

I did do a search but didn't find to much on the VR V8's

Thanks

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
All bolts up & works if got flywheel to front half of tailshaft,most importantly hydraulic pedal set up...can't remember there is extra bracket for shifter to bolt onto or not.

Speedo issue is the real killer...how to make it work with vr ecu...different signal + sensor bolts onto housing,slip yoke has gear pressed onto it.

It would have to be dirt cheap to put in all that labour & parts...price up stronger t56 setup or dellows t5 conversion using common ford 6cyl t5

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
All bolts up & works if got flywheel to front half of tailshaft,most importantly hydraulic pedal set up...can't remember there is extra bracket for shifter to bolt onto or not.

Speedo issue is the real killer...how to make it work with vr ecu...different signal + sensor bolts onto housing,slip yoke has gear pressed onto it.

It would have to be dirt cheap to put in all that labour & parts...price up stronger t56 setup or dellows t5 conversion using common ford 6cyl t5

Thanks Heaps for the info!! I did look at the T56 as an option and kind of moved away because of the gearing and some of the feedback.. Have done the EA T5 into a Commodore with the Dellow Bellhousing and looked at that as an option until the Getrag came up..

Can have the box with ALL the that's needed.. ( I believe the crossmember differs but Castlemaine do them) yellaterra flywheel near new clutch etc with all the hyd setup tail shaft and it comes with the VS SIII loom and ECU.

The speedo thing does concern me!! would it be easier to get it all to work with the VS ECU and loom?

It's cheap enough and the labour is all me!! lol . But as you mentioned the speedo thing is major as it's going over the pits for licensing ?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Are you getting the whole car or just parts?
Can't remember if it's serial cable or wire from speed sensor to ecu?

Might be possible to use one or two speedo/signal corrector between speedo sensor & ecu...never looked into 100% tbh.

Going S3 ecu & harness probably simplest but tonne of labour...doubt you want to chase down sequential dissy,maf + airbox/sensor then need bcm or vats off...also s3 ecu/maf setup is least favoured if want to do decent mods.

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
Are you getting the whole car or just parts?
Can't remember if it's serial cable or wire from speed sensor to ecu?

Might be possible to use one or two speedo/signal corrector between speedo sensor & ecu...never looked into 100% tbh.

Going S3 ecu & harness probably simplest but tonne of labour...doubt you want to chase down sequential dissy,maf + airbox/sensor then need bcm or vats off...also s3 ecu/maf setup is least favoured if want to do decent mods.

I'm just buying the parts, the bloke removed everything for an Auto and is selling everything he removed.

It's beginning to sound like it's going to be a little bit of a challenge.. The labour doesn't really bother me to much as it's just a fun car project for me.. engine will be coming out for the rear main and i'm trying a two piece seal to replace the rope so it might be engine out twice..lol

Thanks heaps for the advice.. I will so some research on the speedo/signal corrector..