Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gettin to VT Stereo

• Thread starter vermillion_part2
  • Start date
V

vermillion_part2

my dads gf owns a VT commodore and it came with a cheap stereo now we want to change the stereo but cant get into to the dash can someone please tell me how to get to the stereo pictures would be great or even a step by step instructions would be awesome thanks in advance

Lano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series 1
If I remember correctly, you don't need to remove the dash. Get a coat hanger, cut it in two, and bend both around in a horseshoe shape. There should be two holes on each side of the stereo, put the coathangers in them. That *should* unlatch the stereo, so you can pull it out.

But, its been a while since I've done it, so I'd check first....

What part of the dash can't you get into?

XeKToReX

Put it on credit!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL, VR Exec, VS Stato, VT Clubby #555
yeh as Lano said, if its the stock head unit use 2 or 4 pieces of coat hanger, push them into the 4 holes around the sides, put your hand into the tape deck and slide it out, if its already got a different head unit, take the pocket out underneath the head unit, should give you a little bit more access.

XeKToReX

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Ok, here is how I do it and I've lost count how many times that has been....I install handsfree kits into fleet cars and the mounting bracket screws onto the side of the stereo. At last count I have removed 748 VT stereos so the computer says. So, I think I have a rough idea what I'm doing ;) The boys have it close. Using your stereo removal keys (read as"coathanger") Insert them into the holes and lean them out a little and then pull on the coathangers. DO NOT stick your hand into the cassette deck as you risk bending the springs, probably wont happen, but it MAY and then when she sells the car you can safely put the old stereo back in returning it to original.

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
In his first post he said a cheap stereo, I'm assuming its an aftermarket one? how's the instructions given above going to help him pull out an aftermarket unit? could be a single DIN or double DIN.

V

vermillion_part2

yeah it is a aftermarket stereo that is why i am having trouble cos the topic of taking out standard has been covereda million and one times on this site. as for the din i wouldnt have a clue wht it is cos it is some super cheap stereo that is wht the car came with. umm i am trying to get into the stereo mounting brackets. thanks

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Is there some steps around to remove surroundings to remove deck from a VS Calais? There is JVC in there currently but some steps would be nice so my inpatience won't break anything.

vrgurl87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
i got no idea about the vt but my vr was easyer enough lol

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Is there a pocket underneath the stereo? If so then its a single DIN unit, if theres not and its double the size of a normal stereo, its a double DIN.

More than likely its a single DIN aftermarket unit, as i havent come across a "super cheap" double DIN unit as of yet.

There are several ways to mount an aftermarket head-unit into a VT, it could be mounted using the "cradle" (metal sleeve), or screwed in with a couple of metal straps. You can remove the pocket fairly easily by just grabbing hold of it and pulling it out, or levering it out (carefully) with a flate blade screwdriver. If you can take a pick of the underside of the stereo we may be able to help you further.