Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting a bolt off the shock, yeah fun!

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I found it easiest to crack the unit whilst its in the car still with the weight of the car to assist.

But best is a rattle gun. Spins it right off. U dont know anyone with one?

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
f*ck this I give up, It ripped that vice in the picture off my workbench. Probably just easier and makes more sense for the long term to get new shocks as the springs are SSL's

You said it, dont wanna be doing things twice. Plus the ride should be a bit better.

Ha ha ripped the vice off that woulda been good to see. Sorry mate.

Did you try turning the bush at the same time? Just a thought. Now you got no vice though might need an extra pair of hands? Or as suggested weight of car on it would help but there goes another half an hour.

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
you live and you learn

spat the dummy for about half and hour and made good use of my 4 letter vocabulary, but now just sitting back with a beer watching new episodes of workaholics, so its all good :)

As for the rattle gun, wouldn't that be impossible in the situation as you still have to access the small bolt on top, to use the rattle gun would just make it spin really fast if it couldn't lock onto that initial bolt as well?

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. Rattle guns, especially cordless ones, dont really put much turning force or torque on a nut, its like shocking it into turning.

Edit: in saying that though its not a good idea to use them in some situations as the shock can cause damage to sensitive parts and its also easy to over tighten smaller nuts.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Yes and no. Rattle guns, especially cordless ones, dont really put much turning force or torque on a nut, its like shocking it into turning.

I disagree. I use rattle guns all day every day at work. I've got 3 of them. 1 SP Air one and two DeWalt 18v Impact Drivers. One big and one small. The small one has enough power to undo most things, have used it to remove wheel bearing nuts on FWD cars before. And the bigger one gets used on wheel nuts in the carpark.

As for using a rattle gun on the shock bolt, it works because it spins it faster than you can and the hammer dislodges the bolt without turning the shaft.

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
As for using a rattle gun on the shock bolt, it works because it spins it faster than you can and the hammer dislodges the bolt without turning the shaft.

thanks that cleared things up for me. I know a guy building his car at work so will probably hit him up and borrow his rattle gun, I'm sure he will have one.

Anyway, all questions answered my end. Hope this may help someone else down the road

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, 2015 Daytona 675R
Hey mate, if you haven't had any luck and have a local Pedders or suspension shop near you, pop in there and ask them if they'll help you out.

My local shop has helped me out a couple of times, they may charge you $10 or so.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
I will concede i was wrong to use the word torque, some can produce a fair amount but only very briefly in quick succession. You can hold onto the impact socket with your hand and easily stop it from turning though, even the 240v one at work, so thats my reason for saying that. It does make it tingle a bit afterwards though. Dont try this at home kiddies.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I've always used rattle guns for the top nut when the shock is out. Even the cheap 12v cigarette socket ones work well for this.

If you've got a pair of vice grips, try clamping them onto the shock through the spring and give that a go.

even the 240v one at work

Pnuematic is where it's at.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Without starting another thread, sorry to OP, what pressure do you use for your rattle gun? Weve a 6bar chicago pneumatic one at work and the 240v shits all over it. Not supposed to use it in wet areas or above tanks and such for obvious reasons and would like a better pneumatic one maybe its just on its way out.

Last edited: