Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting a bolt off the shock, yeah fun!

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
No idea, I've always had to borrow, the setup I use is not particularly high end gear. The same air gun has done some pretty old rear CV shafts without any problems though. It doesn't surprise me that electric could be more effective though, AFAIK electric motors have maximum torque at zero RPM (or something like that), particularly at such a high voltage.

Bolts like OP's should be bread and butter for any rattle gun though, even cheap ones.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Regarding the Rattle gun debate, A diesel mechanic I know only uses electric rattle guns now (snap on) as they tend to work better then the air guns.

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
Not sure whether you got it off or not but i put the ring spanner to suit on the big nut and hammer on a 10ml or smaller imperial socket onto the top and lay the shock on the ground and force in opposite directions and it should come off. think these ones are tough to get off try doing it with KYB shocks that have the allen key top....what a nightmare....

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Rookie error.

Always crack the nut before you jack the car up.