Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting a bolt off the shock, yeah fun!

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
So I'm pretty much stuck on this one bolt and I am yet to discover what I am doing wrong.

The more I try the more worn down the edges get so If I f*ck it here, seems like its all going back in and I have to give up.

Pretty annoyed.

Ive compressed the springs down and from what I read in another thread that should make it way easier to get off, but I am at no avail.

Any help would be appreciated

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4039.jpg

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
the shock actually spins when you undo it. so you have to put a smaller spanner or a shifter on that little bit at the top. unless you have a rattle gun.

If you're starting to round it buy a good hexagonal shaped (not the star shaped) ring spanner. that will do the best at keeping it in good shape.

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
yeah had worked that part out but with all my effort still couldn't get it off. Might go and grab one from up at bunnings now and see how I go.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I am not being offensive but by the look of the shiny thread you may be trying to tighten it rather than undo it.

You have a vice there so fit the ring spanner over the nut then place the hex end of the shaft in the vice and undo the nut.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Everytime I have changed springs I actually crack the nut while the springs aren't compressed, then compress the springs and its easy to take off.

I usually use a good quality deep socket and breaker bar.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah that nuts a pain being inside the cup washer. Not using a shifter are you? Could try a can of freeze release as i see some WD in the pic im guessing you gave it a good soak already.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Use a single hex. Are you replacing the shocks?If you are you can use a set of vice grips on the shock to stop it spinning

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
just shiny because yeah as mentioned it has soaked in WD

Bought a 23mm ring spanner got home and then realised I needed a 15/16 spanner

Have tried using the vice but with no luck.

Just doesn't want to come off at all. Arghhhhh

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
f*ck this I give up, It ripped that vice in the picture off my workbench. Probably just easier and makes more sense for the long term to get new shocks as the springs are SSL's