Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting A Exemption (no Power Restrictions 4 P Platers)

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
potshots007 said:
what sort of car is it? my nephew couldnt wait till he was off his p's, he car is highly unroadworthy he decided to put a nice red 308 in his VK commodore, i thought you were able to drive a 308 commodore? maybe im wrong, but my nephew got pulled over heaps of times, mostly because of air pollution and they pop the bonnet and tell him he has no pollution gear and **** like that, i guess depends on what sort of police are in your town, otherwise not sure there is anyway of getting through to them

He got pulled over dude, casue he had a red motor in an updated commodore, that's a no no! :p

Ateam Auto mate, you could probley do more to your car in the time you can't drive it, up until you can.. think about it! do you want it how it is now? or do u want it when its sup'd up in a years or so time? badluck mate there's no way out of it!! On the other side someone will doob yah in sooner or later if u try on your own will to drive it when the laws comes out...

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Argue the point that a vk 308 makes less power than a 1987 mazda 929. Lets face it they're a pretty slow car standard

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
But still ..... it's a V8 :yeah:

A-TEAM AUTOMOTIVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 3.3 efi
V8 =:D BURNOUTS, love !! mazdas died out.

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Yep them p plate law's suck! They make no sence:bang: I want to turbo my vl, but have to wait a few year's when i get my full licence, when petrol will be like $3 a litre:bang:

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
qwertsta said:
Yep them p plate law's suck! They make no sence:bang: I want to turbo my vl, but have to wait a few year's when i get my full licence, when petrol will be like $3 a litre:bang:

Every tom dick and harry has had to wait in the past. You will too. Insurance companies probably won't insure you anyway unless you are over 25 y/o.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
In vic... You can get expemptions if its the ONLY family car (doesnt count if there are two V8's i dont think) or if it is used for work. Also it all depends on the power to weight ratio... I don't think your gonna get pulled over by a cop with a calculator asking you how much your car weighs and how many kw it has

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
MikesVT said:
In vic... You can get expemptions if its the ONLY family car (doesnt count if there are two V8's i dont think) or if it is used for work. Also it all depends on the power to weight ratio... I don't think your gonna get pulled over by a cop with a calculator asking you how much your car weighs and how many kw it has

Then they pop the hood... OH! this engine looks a bit to big for you! :p

Just wait A-Team mate and create a super six! :thumbsup:

A-TEAM AUTOMOTIVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 3.3 efi
yeah for the next few years its 202 all the way !!!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
A-TEAM AUTOMOTIVE said:
hey guys, just wondering if it is actually possible for p drivers to get an exhemption from the power restriction laws. if anyone konw a way or excuse that would do the trick, i would really REALLY appreciate it, ive got the money all ready 4 my 308 but d bloody law is gay!

This goes back a few years when I was trying to get around the same law. AFAIK it hasn't changed but do some research on the Vicroads website to check for sure. T

he only way around it is if you need to drive a high powered car in the course of your employment. The exemption will only apply when you are at work. Don't be tempted to say you are at work because that is most likely to come back and bite you in the arse at the most inconvenient time (like when you just ran into the back of that shiny new Merc).

Wait till you are 21, save your $$$ in the mean time. You'll probably be able to afford something much better after a couple of years anyway. In the mean time, treat yourself with a few driving courses or some track days. They are a ton of fun.

Reaper