Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting A Exemption (no Power Restrictions 4 P Platers)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
VK_308 said:
cause not everyone did wait till their old enough.. the laws are fairly recent arent they?
so only the people that have got their P's since the laws came in have to wait, everyone else didnt.

Pretty recent - This was implemented around 15 years ago in Vic.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
qwertsta said:
Yep them p plate law's suck! They make no sence:bang: I want to turbo my vl, but have to wait a few year's when i get my full licence, when petrol will be like $3 a litre:bang:

Reaper prediction - Petrol will be far closer to $1 per litre in 12 months than $2. It wouldn't suprise me to be in the $0.90 - $1.10 range in the coming months.

Reaper

Learn from history guys - been saying this for months now!

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
Reaper said:
Reaper prediction - Petrol will be far closer to $1 per litre in 12 months than $2. It wouldn't suprise me to be in the $0.90 - $1.10 range in the coming months.

Reaper

Learn from history guys - been saying this for months now!

a bit off topic but why does gas go up with peterol? it has nothing to do crude oil! and im a green p plater with a v8 and they will insure you but they ass rape you with the price of insurence!

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
walesy_5.0 said:
a bit off topic but why does gas go up with peterol? it has nothing to do crude oil! and im a green p plater with a v8 and they will insure you but they ass rape you with the price of insurence!

they ass rape me with the price of insurance and mine is a 100% stock v6 ecotech:bang:

As for gas, now that everyone is getting it put in, you watch the government put taxes on it, soon enough gas will be around the 90cent to a dollar mark. On the topic of gas conversions, i wonder how many people are getting it put on an older car with a fair amount of k's only to have their engine stuff up on them hahaha.

Anyway, back on topic. Especially in an older model car I don't think you would have much trouble. I have friends with 5.0lt v8s with a fair few mods and they haven't been hassled.
It's a risk though, you might get the wrong cop on the wrong day

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
walesy_5.0 said:

Yeah it does. When crude oil is refined, bitumen, various oils, diesel, petrol, gas and various other products are all extracted from it. Up untill about 20 years ago LP gas (Liquid PETROLEUM gas) was mostly useless by product that was burnt off. These days it is sold.

Very rough figures, but the costs involved in 1 litre of petrol are about 35c in taxes (varies from state to state), 25-30c in refining, distribution and retail margins and the balance is the cost of crude. A $1 change in a barrel of crude = roughly 1c per litre change at the pump. My guess is the longer term aim for the industry is a oil price at around $30 - $35 per barrel. That makes it worth while for the producers to pull it out of the ground whilst it is at a retail price more acceptable for the retail consumers.

Believe it or not the cause of our current crisis roots back about 10 years ago. 9/11 and the current war on terror are minor influences. If anybody is interested in learning more, perhaps another thread would be appropriate.

All sorts of things are (in part) dependant on the price of crude - almost all plastics, nylons and electronics all have high quantities of parts derived from the black gold.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MikesVT said:
they ass rape me with the price of insurance and mine is a 100% stock v6 ecotech:bang:

You are ass raped because you are not a good risk to the insurance companies. Other than them trying to get you as a loyal customer of theirs for life, if they had a choice they probably wouldn't insure you at all.

MikesVT said:
As for gas, now that everyone is getting it put in, you watch the government put taxes on it, soon enough gas will be around the 90cent to a dollar mark.

The government policy on taxing LP Gas is to gradually raise the excise from zero (as it is now) to a limit (which I can't remember, nor find at this time) that is still very favorable to petrol. (Don't quote me but I think it was 1/3-1/2 that of petrol). This is to be done gradually between 2010 and completed by 2015. AFAIK the only tax currently paid on LP Gas is the GST set at 10%

MikesVT said:
On the topic of gas conversions, i wonder how many people are getting it put on an older car with a fair amount of k's only to have their engine stuff up on them hahaha.

There is no reason for this to happen if the installer knows what he is doing. Any reputable installer would check the health of the engine before any works began if for no other reason than to cover his arse.

Reaper

D

dale751

potshots007 said:
what sort of car is it? my nephew couldnt wait till he was off his p's, he car is highly unroadworthy he decided to put a nice red 308 in his VK commodore, i thought you were able to drive a 308 commodore? maybe im wrong, but my nephew got pulled over heaps of times, mostly because of air pollution and they pop the bonnet and tell him he has no pollution gear and **** like that, i guess depends on what sort of police are in your town, otherwise not sure there is anyway of getting through to them
yer, the law is NO v8/turbo/superchargers/high performane 6z. so there for the red 308 is eligal unless hes had his pz b4 they passed the new laws.there is a few exsemptions on thosose laws tho
if u go to the rta website there is a hand full of cars that are exsemp from the laws...eg. turbo deisel utes. and a couple of small turbod cars.

kingj133

The King
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais, Dead VK Calais
yer, the law is NO v8/turbo/superchargers/high performane 6z. so there for the red 308 is eligal unless hes had his pz b4 they passed the new laws.there is a few exsemptions on thosose laws tho
if u go to the rta website there is a hand full of cars that are exsemp from the laws...eg. turbo deisel utes. and a couple of small turbod cars.

.....huh??

U

UPSVC

can i drive????

hey guys, i just got a 4.2Litre VC commodore from my grandad. just wanted to know. can i or can i not drive this car while im on my P's. i live in vic and the rules are maximum 3.5 litres per tonne and/or under 125kw per tonne. can i drive it???

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
hey guys, i just got a 4.2Litre VC commodore from my grandad. just wanted to know. can i or can i not drive this car while im on my P's. i live in vic and the rules are maximum 3.5 litres per tonne and/or under 125kw per tonne. can i drive it???

The 253 should be fine.