Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

getting a hole in a VZ ute firewall

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of wiring a new sound system in my exec VZ ute, and now that it's come to running the cable for the amp, i have no idea how to get it from the battery to the tray. In other cars it's simply a matter of poking the cable through a bung in the firewall, then threading it through under the dash etc, but i'm a bit concerned about drilling holes through the firewall in case i hit something.
Just wondering it anyone else has had to run cables through the firewall and then into the tray of a ute like this? thanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz cv8z monaro fusion 6spdm
yes done it before to install cruise control (holden genuine kit) but requires the whole dash to be pulled out (big job)so you can get the hole high enough for it to be hidden away very good. my opinion take your acr to a sound installer and get them to finish the job, won't cost much guaranteed to be done properly

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
ok.i didnt realise that it was going to have to be done like that. i may as well let them put in the headunit and speakers as well then.. thanks

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I ran a meaty live wire from the battery to the boot. I managed to get it through the same rubber grommet as an existing loom. Took a bit of time and effort though.

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
I was going to try and force it through the same hole as a bunch of wires already use, but i was a bit worried about induction into those smaller wires, or noise in my amp cable. i take it you didnt have any problems?

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
i doubt you'll have a problem with that, half the wires you run it past are probably carrying a voltage most of the time when the car is running anyways ....

just cut the end of your wire so its not daggy, and throw some oil or vasso onto it or something and then push it through ....

alimpyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ UTE 3.6 M6
Have to tell u guys that the VZ ute is probably the easiers car i have put a sterio into. I'v done ford lasers mitsu magnas and my ute. there is a dirty big gromit under the dash on the far left of the passenger footwell.
it is very high though. u'll need to pull the plastic covering that is above where ur feet normally are (think their are no swrews). the gromit will need to be cut coz on mine their was nothing going through it. if u got any questions please ask. but i did this about a year ago.
btw i left the gromit out in the end so i can hear the raw of the ss inductions big mouth growler thingy.

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
Thanks alimpyer, I found that grommit you're talking about. If i didnt know to look there, i'd have never found it. Talk about hidden. anyway, the power cabling is in now, it would have been good to have it running along the same side as the battery but i suppose holden dont see it fit to help out with one on that side.