Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GettinG auto gear knob off?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey_21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 HBD---mmmm LS1
I have a Vr Calais not that it matters but im wondering how 2 get the auto big fat knob off so i can take that cover off and do sumthing wqith it any suggestions or easy ways 2 get it off without breaking it or fuking it up pleese help

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
theres a trick to it

pull up, but not overly hard, and just keep pressure on
then gently lift it forawrd from the back, like you are popping a lid on a beer bottle with a bottle opener

might need a bit of wiggling also, but once youve got the technique theyre easy

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
ummm im not sure about VR but with my brothers VT we had to pull the whole centre console apart.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Joey_18 said:
is there anything that might screw up or break if i take it off is there anything i need 2 detach underneath the actual shifter itself

No - it's just a snug fitting rubber knob forced on a steel rod - there are a couple of small barbs on the top of the stick to help hold it on, but there is nothing you can do about that.

The one thing to be aware of, is if you put it on and remove it too many times it may start to get a bit loose. By that I mean like I had mine on and off like 20 times while I fiddled around putting a cup holder in and at the end of that it was a little loose so I wedged a piece of cardboard in to tighten it up.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
to take that cover off you don't need to take the gear knob off. turn the cover sideways and lift over it.