Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting db tested..?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
How guy's, i was wondering where you would go to get db tested, other than at a sound comp?. Can local audio installers conduct a db test.. Has anyone had their's tested?. How much did it set you back?. I've read that after a certain db, to reach each db after that, it has to go something like twice as loud per db...I got a bit confused in the article and was wondering if someone could explain it to me, in simple easy to understand terms..:thumbsup: Thank guys..

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I've never had my car dB tested, though I really want too. Most big custom shops are going to have a dB meter, so that will be your best shot. Call around because every shop will charge differently.

And a 3dB increase is twice as loud. Eg, 130dB is twice as loud as 127dB.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
What is a decent db to achieve? The size of the car would obviously affect it's db reading correct?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Are you going into competitions and the like? If not then why bother. Are your ears are happy when you are driving? If they are then trying to get a certain dB level is pointless.

If you are going into comps then maybe about a 150dB, thats pretty loud, ask Holdenboy, his is pretty loud :D. But then again he has a very powerful amp, some awesome subs, and what I have been calling 'Godzilla's Condom' for a sub box :p. Sorry Holdenboy that thought came into my head one day.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Oh sorry, my bad.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Ive no interest in sound comp's or anything, just curious as to how many db it produces..i guess just like people who have put some effort into there motor, they wanna know what it puts out...Ive put no effort into the motor, so i wanna know what the stereo puts out:dance:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Are you going into competitions and the like? If not then why bother. Are your ears are happy when you are driving? If they are then trying to get a certain dB level is pointless.

If you are going into comps then maybe about a 150dB, thats pretty loud, ask Holdenboy, his is pretty loud :D. But then again he has a very powerful amp, some awesome subs, and what I have been calling 'Godzilla's Condom' for a sub box :p. Sorry Holdenboy that thought came into my head one day.

LOL...i like it ;)

If youre in Sydney then a place in Bankstown called Doran Pro Audio can help you out, they have a Termlab SPL meter (the one used at proper competitions) and can test your system. I would say it'll cost anything from $20-$40 but dont quote me on that.

At a guess most really loud systems will hit around the 140db mark, and trust me, thats loud for a commodore. Anything over this and your doing really well. Average score made by commodores is about 136db.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Might hire a Micra for the day and whack the system in that:w00t: Thanks Holden Boy, i've heard of those guy's ill have to give them a call, and see if i can book it in...

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
most commodores with "average" system (single sub)wouldn't come close to 140DB
at the last comp 2 brothers same cars same system couldn't get a termlab to move to 110 let alone 140db
its like 14 mile times feels fast but still 16 sec car heheh
sounds loud must be 140 db thats pretty hard to get