Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting Drivers side window back onto sliders?

sarge78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hi, I just got a driver side window from the wreckers and am having trouble putting it in properly. I have a 1996 VS Commodore. I am able to get both sliders onto back into the window track but not while it is in the correct position. When I take the sliders out and position the window correctly into its slot it seems impossible to get the sliders into place regardless how much moving, winding etc I do.
The part of the window that winds up and down (not sure what the correct name for it is) does not appear to be able to be unscrewed? Years ago I replaced one in a VK after a few cogs broke and it wasn't any real drama.
Anyone got any ideas of how to get this thing back in correctly?

thanks

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
U will need to remove the bolt in the rail at the bottom. It's the front rail, 10mm bolt from memory.

This will allow u to manouver the window to one side and get both White sliders on.

sarge78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Thanks very much Ephect!!!

I didn't notice that screw there, so didn't know I had the chance to move that rail a little which has made all the difference!!

Thanks for your help

sarge

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Glad to hear you got it sorted!!

oh btw, welcome to the forum ;)

DazzaVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe 1997 3.8L
U will need to remove the bolt in the rail at the bottom. It's the front rail, 10mm bolt from memory.

This will allow u to manouver the window to one side and get both White sliders on.

Yo are you talking about the small rail that has 2 bolts? If so which bolt needs to come off? Thanks in advance, my power window was rooted but I think I’ve fixed it just can’t get window back on. The 2 middle rivets are busted would it be easier to fit that in place first then put the window back on or the other way around?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Hey Dazza

Wow blast from the past. I'd fit the rivets or replace them with (iirc) M5 bolts. Once that's in, the front glass guide rail, has a 10mm bolt towards the base of the guide, remove that then U can manuver the window in place