Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

getting into gear

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black Vz R8 HSV Clubsport 297kw Gen IV M6
well ive finally put the ss back together... just took it for a bit of a drive and it was a bit hard to get into gear is this because everything is new??

its got new clutch, flywheel, spiget bearing, thrust bearing...

once its all run in properly will it be all normal??

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
A bit hard to get into gear?

Try this:

Flat surface, car stopped, brake off, in nuteral. Put your foot down on the clutch, and move the gearstick into first gear. Now slowly back off the clutch 'till the car starts edging forwards.

If the car starts edging forwards almost instantly, then you have the clutch adjusted too tight, and this could be your problem :)

Is it possible you're running a different type of trans fluid now? The T5 gearboxes HATE some fluids :)

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
well i got gotta go to sprints today and get some exhaust gaskets to fit the exhaust back on or the neighbors will kill me, before i start it.

but no im using the same oil as previous and my mate said the clutch cable could be stretched because i had a REALLY heavy clutch previously

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
A bit hard to get into gear?

Try this:

Flat surface, car stopped, brake off, in nuteral. Put your foot down on the clutch, and move the gearstick into first gear. Now slowly back off the clutch 'till the car starts edging forwards.

If the car starts edging forwards almost instantly, then you have the clutch adjusted too tight, and this could be your problem :)

other way round morton:p the cable is too loose and needs to be tightened... or your clutch fork pivot isnt adjusted correctly when the clutch was installed

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
other way round morton:p the cable is too loose and needs to be tightened... or your clutch fork pivot isnt adjusted correctly when the clutch was installed

mm that's the 2 things people have said... i really hope it aint the pivot.. i seriously cant be effed ripping it all out again... is there any way i can tell if its the pivot without taking it out?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yep... if you tighten th cable and it still grinds then its adjusted wrong.... also if the pedal is low after adjusting the cable the pivot isnt adjusted properly

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
its it ok once your driving? or just first when stationary? how well does it go into reverse ??

also how deep is the contact point ?

nah its very hard to go into gear when its on... and wont go into reverse
its stats to move as soon as i move my foot off clutch.. so prob a couple mm's

the car moves forward without acceleration as soon as my foot is let off slightly