Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting more out of a VK

F

foxthor

Ive got a 1985 VK calais with EFI Black motor. It currently has a mild cam and extractors with exhaust. I was thinking of grabbing a wrecked or old VN or VP and chucking in the V6 for a few extra kilowatts but im not to sure if it will be worth the effort.. Im looking for fuel economy and power, if you know what i mean. as the V6 has better economy and about 18 extra KW. Is supercharging the Black motor worth it? or is an RB 30 motor the way to go? Im looking for more power out of my Calais, but also i dont want to spend a shitload either.... Please help :confused:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
foxthor said:
Ive got a 1985 VK calais with EFI Black motor. It currently has a mild cam and extractors with exhaust. I was thinking of grabbing a wrecked or old VN or VP and chucking in the V6 for a few extra kilowatts but im not to sure if it will be worth the effort.. Im looking for fuel economy and power, if you know what i mean. as the V6 has better economy and about 18 extra KW. Is supercharging the Black motor worth it? or is an RB 30 motor the way to go? Im looking for more power out of my Calais, but also i dont want to spend a shitload either.... Please help :confused:

IMHO go get a good V8 shell and go to town. Mechanicals are easy but body is more difficult so get a good shell with a fubar motor and pump your $$$ into a engine/tranny combo and have a ball.

Reaper

F

foxthor

Yeah but my car body is really good atm so i wanted to keep the body but possibly change or do up the engine

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Get an RB30 motor, with extractors, 5 speed gearbox, Thermo fans ! "twins on front and back"

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Improves cooling for when you drive harder plus u can set the cooling when u want to if u have the full setup.

ps. bro that link rules!

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
Go the V6. They have heaps of potential and parts a more readily attainable. Rb30's are a bit old school and are pretty limited compared to the V6 stuff. Newer model components can be fitted without a lot of effort.
Kain

SUSPECT

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.calaisturbo.com.au
Members Ride
SUZUKI GSX-R 1000 k8
Goon said:
Improves cooling for when you drive harder plus u can set the cooling when u want to if u have the full setup.

ps. bro that link rules!

lol yea hehe i didnt mind it either..... and yea as for the thermo's i wouldnt bother putting em in as if u have a good radiator and coolant it should b right

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
SUSPECT said:
lol yea hehe i didnt mind it either..... and yea as for the thermo's i wouldnt bother putting em in as if u have a good radiator and coolant it should b right

I would view the fan as a HP thing. When the car is doing 60 down the road, it probably has more than enough air going thru the radiator. Why sap engine power driving a fan when you can do it far more effieiently with an electric motor??? Conversely, when the car is idling and needs extra air, the fans can run whenever they are needed.

Reaper