Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Getting my reflection in the paint back after respirating

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
Do I need another product to get the gloss back? The paint looks good but no shine or gloss?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
cutting compound brings out the shine. Make sure its safe for clear coat.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I would never, ever use 800g to wetsand topcoat. 1200g min, and that’s only to sand out any runs in the clear. Otherwise it’s 1500-2000 and then cutting compound. I always go straight to 2000 - it’s less risk that way and the cutting/polishing process is much faster and more consistent. I hate seeing sanding scratches.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I would never, ever use 800g to wetsand topcoat. 1200g min, and that’s only to sand out any runs in the clear. Otherwise it’s 1500-2000 and then cutting compound. I always go straight to 2000 - it’s less risk that way and the cutting/polishing process is much faster and more consistent. I hate seeing sanding scratches.
It depends on how well the top coat was layered on. I gave bad general info on the 800, it's too course for clear. I use it on my bonnet and roof but I had a run and some rough overspray, i wanted off quickly. EYY has done a lot more painting than me and his advice is better than mine. I tend to layer the paint on pretty well too though. I only use the 800 as a quick rub with my palm. Apologies for the bum steer.

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
I’m going to try 2000 wet and dry see how it comes out or else still looks **** I’ll have to take it right back and add another coat of paint
Thanks for the advice
Once I take it off do I reapply the clear coat?

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
It depends on how well the top coat was layered on. I gave bad general info on the 800, it's too course for clear. I use it on my bonnet and roof but I had a run and some rough overspray, i wanted off quickly. EYY has done a lot more painting than me and his advice is better than mine. I tend to layer the paint on pretty well too though. I only use the 800 as a quick rub with my palm. Apologies for the bum steer.
Yeah I’m handing sanding it down see how I go

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
When you paint, you want to get the layers really smooth. You achieve this by getting the paint nice and wet. Depending on the paint you use will depend on what work you need to get in shiny. Ideally what you want is shine off the gun. This occurs when you get an almost flat surface when layering it up. If you don't use enough thinners or apply too thin the paint won't melt together nicely and you end up with an orange peel look that takes ages to rub out before use use the mechanical buff pad witb cutting compound. I don't know how much clear you applied so hard to say if you need to recoat. If you wet rub with 2000 it should be dull but dead smooth and no scratches. I go as far a 3000 but EYY said just go 2000. The mechanical buff and polish is what will give you the shine. If you are using a polish cloth because its where the panel folds then try 3000, followed with cutting compound and polishing mircofibre towel.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20190903_171055-jpg.206745

Slightly dark photo due to the lateness of the day but the bonnet and roof were wet rubbed right down to 3000 and then buffed with the mechanical buffer tool. I only resprayed 1/4 of the bonnet as I didn't want to use up all my paint. Did you use 2 pac or acrylic? If acrylic, get your wet rubbing done but leave the mechanical buffing for a few weeks. I found it acrylic polishes better with the orange pad once it hardens up, which goes against what people generally suggest online.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Make sure with the buffer you are spraying plenty of water with the squirt bottle or it will burn and look like ****. Also the machine work should be pretty quick to shine up on the new paint. If it doesn't, I'd say you need more wet rubbing or recoat because the paint didn't melt together enough.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I might be wrong but looking at the photo it looks as if the paint wasn't applied wet enough. Like I said it should shine off the gun. Is the colour dark grey or black? Looking at the photos I'd say you could rub through before getting it to shine.