Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Getting my reflection in the paint back after respirating

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
When you paint, you want to get the layers really smooth. You achieve this by getting the paint nice and wet. Depending on the paint you use will depend on what work you need to get in shiny. Ideally what you want is shine off the gun. This occurs when you get an almost flat surface when layering it up. If you don't use enough thinners or apply too thin the paint won't melt together nicely and you end up with an orange peel look that takes ages to rub out before use use the mechanical buff pad witb cutting compound. I don't know how much clear you applied so hard to say if you need to recoat. If you wet rub with 2000 it should be dull but dead smooth and no scratches. I go as far a 3000 but EYY said just go 2000. The mechanical buff and polish is what will give you the shine. If you are using a polish cloth because its where the panel folds then try 3000, followed with cutting compound and polishing mircofibre towel.
Thanks for your help will try
Greatly appreciated

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
When you paint, you want to get the layers really smooth. You achieve this by getting the paint nice and wet. Depending on the paint you use will depend on what work you need to get in shiny. Ideally what you want is shine off the gun. This occurs when you get an almost flat surface when layering it up. If you don't use enough thinners or apply too thin the paint won't melt together nicely and you end up with an orange peel look that takes ages to rub out before use use the mechanical buff pad witb cutting compound. I don't know how much clear you applied so hard to say if you need to recoat. If you wet rub with 2000 it should be dull but dead smooth and no scratches. I go as far a 3000 but EYY said just go 2000. The mechanical buff and polish is what will give you the shine. If you are using a polish cloth because its where the panel folds then try 3000, followed with cutting compound and polishing mircofibre towel.
I might be wrong but looking at the photo it looks as if the paint wasn't applied wet enough. Like I said it should shine off the gun. Is the colour dark grey or black? Looking at the photos I'd say you could rub through before getting it to shine.
What do you mean by rub through?

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
After I clear coat the paint do I ever sand it with wet and dry or just leave it and go to the buffer?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What do you mean by rub through?
By rub through I mean down to your base coats. Make sure your base coats are shiny off the gun assuming it's a solid colour like black. Then give it a wet rub with some 1200 and then hit it with clear. You want shine off the gun or you will probably rub through with the wet and dry by the time its smooth enough. If you are painting metalic, which I can not tell, then that's a whole different ball game and you need some far better advice than I can offer. If you are painting metalic DO NOT wet rub the base as it needs to stand up. But rather talk to EYY or someone who knows, because getting metalic right is well above my skill level.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
After I clear coat the paint do I ever sand it with wet and dry or just leave it and go to the buffer?

You want the clear shiny off the gun, then wet rub with 2000, then buff. You haven't told us what colour and type of paint you are using. I am starting to think you are using metalic.

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
I just did two rounds of clear coat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 172

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
Do I need another coat?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 169

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
You want the clear shiny off the gun, then wet rub with 2000, then buff. You haven't told us what colour and type of paint you are using. I am starting to think you are using metalic.
I’m using can spray colour spec base coat

Joopjbc89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 holden calais
Colour is black

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From the photos, it's not looking good bro. From what I can tell it would be a lot to get that new work shiny. I could be wrong but it looks like orange peel from what I can see.